Homemade orange almond butter is a creamy, nutritious, vegan butter. A good alternative to those with peanut allergies.
What is Almond Butter?
Almond butter is a nut butter with roasted almonds. Preparation is similar to any homemade nut butter; roast almonds and grind to a smooth paste. Homemade orange almond butter is a variation and addition of orange enhances the flavor.
Is it Healthy?
Almonds are a good source of monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, iron, protein, fiber, vitamins & minerals. Hence a healthy food that lowers risk of heart diseases, cholesterol, regulates blood pressure and also aides in weight loss.
Almonds are rich in protein, fiber and low in carbohydrates, it makes you feel full with fewer calories, contributing to weight loss.
Since this nut butter is prepared with almonds, it has the same health benefits as almonds. It is a good alternative to peanut butter for people with peanut allergies. However, almonds are rich calories and so is the butter. Use it in moderation.
Why make at Home?
It is easy to prepare and economical as well. Second, add add-ons of your choice to make it extra flavorful. Addition of orange zest with few drops of orange juice takes this orange almond butter to a different quotient level. Honey, cinnamon, vanilla are few add-ons to consider.
Which Almonds to use?
Roasted almonds are ideal as roasted almonds blend easily. However, one can use raw almonds for a milder taste. Buy raw almonds (unroasted) and roast them at home or use store bought roasted almonds.
Since it takes less than 10-15 minutes to roast almonds in the oven, I personally prefer roasting them at home and warm almonds blend faster than the cold ones.
How to Store?
Store almond butter in a glass jar or in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It stays good even at room temperature but there is a chance butter could go rancid. Remove the butter from the refrigerate 10 -15 minutes before using it to bring it to room temperature.
How to use ?
Use on toast for breakfast, crackers and biscuits for a snack, in smoothies or mix it with some yogurt for a protein packed yogurt snack. Substitute almond butter with some dairy butter in your favorite recipes to cut back on some dairy fat. Choices are endless!!
Food Processor or a Blender
The key to good homemade almond butter is patience. It takes time to process almonds. Since the nuts are hard, roasting them helps a bit in making a creamy butter. You can use a food processor or a blender to make almond butter and may need to add some oil to get a smooth creamy texture.
I used my Indian mixie, which has a powerful motor than my food processor but not as powerful as a Vitamix. It takes time but any food processor or blend will do the job. Vitamix does a good job if you are using a big batch of butter.
More Almond Recipes
Detailed, Printable Recipe
Homemade Orange Almond Butter
- Oven and baking tray or a stovetop pan to roast almonds
- Blender or a food processor
- 1 cup Roasted Almonds
- ¾ teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 ½ - 2 teaspoon Fresh Orange Juice or juice from 2 segments
- ¼ teaspoon Salt optional
- 1 teaspoon Honey optional
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable or Coconut Oil optional
- Use store bought unsalted roasted almonds or roast almonds at home.
- To roast almonds, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread almonds on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes shaking the almonds half way into baking. Almonds should be crunchy else roast a little longer. Cool until almonds are warm.
- Take all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until it is creamy. It will take a decent 10 minutes and blend in intervals of 30 second, scraping down the almonds.
- Transfer to a clean container and store in the refrigerator.
- Addition of salt and honey are optional and feel free to omit these ingredients.
- Oil is optional but if you do not have a powerful motor base for your blender or food processor, adding oil (liquid) will speed up the process. This recipe requires lot of patience and lost mine half way into it and used some oil to speed up the process.
- Nutrition - Values approximate values.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
Saraswathi Tharagaram says
Never had an idea to flavor almond better! sounds interesting and delicious!
Never hear of Orange Almond Butter Usha, it looks delicious. Will sure give it a try.
Never heard of Orange Almond butter Usha, it sounds and looks delicious. Will sure give it a try.
Never heard of Orange Almond Butter Usha, that's an interesting dish. I'm sure going to give this a try.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
Usha, this is just so delicious! I would have never thought of flavoring my almond utter. I agree with you that it is so easy and economical to make nut butters at home. I am going to give this a try soon!
Harini Rupanagudi says
I am sure the orange flavored almond butter will be loved by my little one. But I am just wondering if I would have the patience to run the processor for 10 minutes 🙂 But I shall have to give it a try soon.
Harini, try it in Vitamix. I heard it is easier and I am yet to try. In a food processor or Indian mixie I I hesitate to run it continuously for 10 minutes.
I like almond butter on my toast, but I never tried making it at home. Your orange flavored almond butter sounds delicious and would love to try it at home.
Thanks and give it a try.