Egg bhurji or Indian scrambled egg is a quick and easy recipe that can be served with rice, roti, or used as a filling for wraps and sandwiches. Until few years ago, I never tasted egg bhurji. One day, when talking to my cousin, she proudly told me she made egg bhurji! After hanging up the phone, I did a Google search for egg bhurji recipes and as I read the recipe, I realized it was nothing other than the scrambled egg I have been eating since I was little girl! I don’t remember what we called it in Telugu (dialect in India), but it was made very often at home.
Bhurji is prepared by sauteing onions, ginger garlic with some spices and scrambling the egg in this mixture. I use only onions most of the time and once in a while add tomatoes. Bell peppers would also be a nice addition to this preparation. But today, it is just onions.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking : 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped Onion or 1 small Onion chopped (I used 3/4 cup)
- 4 Green Chilies chopped or slit into 2 to 4 pieces
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala (opt. if using, adjust chili pwd. I did not use it today)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Eggs
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chop the vegetables and keep aside. In a bowl lightly beat the eggs and keep aside.
- In a skillet heat oil, add curry leaves. When begins to change color, add onion.
- Then onions become translucent, add ginger garlic, chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add the spices, salt and mix well.
- Add the beat egg, cilantro and slow mix so that the egg coats the sauteed onion mixture.
- Saute for a 3-5 minutes until the egg is cooked.
- Serve with rice or roties or use as a filling for wraps or sandwiches.