As I mentioned in my last post, I am beginning to fall in love vangibath powder. I made this powder few days ago and used it in to prepare flavored brown rice. The outcome was one delicious brown rice! I actually made it for lunch last Thursday and loved it a lot. I wanted U to taste and kept some rice aside for him. He too loved and it was our dinner Friday and Saturday. I used 3:1 ratio brown & white rice.
Total Time: 1 hour - 1 hour 10 minutes (includes 30 minutes for soaking)
Soaking Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 - 40 minutes
Serves: 1 ½ - 2
Note: Measuring cup used here is the one that comes with the rice cooker
- ¾ cup Brown Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup White Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 1 ¼ tbsp. Oil
- ½ small-medium sized Onion Sliced
- 3 Green Chilies
- ¼ tsp. Fenugreek Powder
- 1 tbsp. Garlic crushed
- ½ - 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 - 3 tsp. Vangibath Powder
- Cilantro to garnish
Note: Measuring cup used here is the one that comes with rice cooker
- In a rice cooker, wash and soak both the rice for 30 minutes with 2 cups of water mentioned in the ingredients list.
- Turn on the rice cooker. While the rice cooks, make the tempering and add it to the rice, 10 – 15 minutes into cooking.
- For the tempering, take oil a pan. When the oil is hot, add the onions and sauté it until light golden brown.
- Add the green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Add garlic, coriander power, turmeric and salt and sauté until the spices and garlic are roasted. Turn of the heat. Tempering takes no more than 5 – 6 minutes.
- 10 – 15 minutes into cooking, that is after turning on the rice cooker, add the tempering to the cooking rice. Add vangibath powder and mix well so that all the spices are mixed well.
- Cover the cooker and continue to cook until done. Ten minutes after the cooker shuts off, add the cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot with your favorite curry.