Guacamole is an easy Mexican dip with avocados. Ripe avocados, jalapeno or serrano peppers, lime and cilantro are the key ingredients to make guacamole and it is a crowd pleaser at any party.
Jump to recipe or Pin It for later.
Update - First and third images updated in Jan 2018.
For the last day of the marathon, cooking by Alphabets is letter G. It is G for Guacamole. Guacamole is a Mexican dip that has become part of American cuisne. It is such an easy preparation that even a 5 year old cannot go wrong with it.
Before I get to the recipe, here are the recipes I posted for this marathon, cooking by alphabets theme.
Aloo Kheer ~ Potato Pudding
Badami Murgh ~ Almond Chicken Curry
Chili Rubbed Roasted Curried Chicken
Dondakaya Gutti Masala ~ Stuffed Ivy Gourd Curry
English Muffin Pizza
How to make Guacamole
- 1 Avocado
- 3 tbsp. Red Onions chopped
- 3 tbsp. Tomatoes pulp removed and chopped
- 2 small Green Chilies or Serrano Peppers (Adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 – 3 tbsp. Cilantro chopped
- Cut the avocado horizontally or lengthwise. This fruit has a pit hence, cut it all around and then twist it around to open the two pieces.
- Remove the pit or the seed, scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash it using a fork or a back of a spoon.
- Cut tomato in half, remove the pulp and chop it.
- Chop onions and green chilies or Serrano peppers.
- Add these to avocado along with salt and lime juice, mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. I added a pinch of black pepper, yet the dip wasn’t spicy enough to my taste.
- If serving right way, add cilantro and serve it with tortilla chips or fresh warm tortillas. I had some left over toasted pita bread from yesterday and served it with guacamole.
- All the ingredients listed above can be adjusted to taste
- Few recipes on the web call for garlic as well. Can add it if one like the flavor for garlic. Though I like garlic, I prefer not to use it in guacamole.
- One of my cousin's adds dry oregano to the dip and it tastes fine. Use this as a base recipe and adjust or add more flavors to one's liking.
Like the recipe, Pin It.
Recipes I posted this month in 2009, in 2010 and in 2011.
Blogging Marathon: To know more about the various themes and participating bloggers for this marathon, checkout the blogging marathon page on Srivalli's blog.
Suja Ram says
Avocado, being the only fruit allowed in my diet, I love making Guacamole. But, I end up with a chutney-like thing. Yours has got the perfect texture Usha..the pics make it all the more appealing..
Sapana Behl says
When you posted this recipe I haven't even started blogging. Love the beautiful pictures and composition.
Wow, that is quite an observation! Yes, I posted this long time ago when I just got my dslr and felt I got better pictures with my P&S than with a dslr. 🙂 That is quite a change for me, come a long way in my photography journey.
I LOVE Guacamole and make it quite often. Your clicks are amazing.
Priya Kumar says
avacado guacamole is one of my favorite dip with nachos. This taste great as well as its texture with nachos is a fabulous combination.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
I love guacamole and can eat it with anything. In fact after seeing your post, I am reminded to redo mine as well as my pictures are really bad. I love how you left the old picture as well in the post to see the growth in your photography!
I was meaning to do it for a long time Sandhya, but never got around to click new pictures. This theme has forced me to do it sooner than later.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth says
The updated pictures are really beautiful! I really admire your brilliant photography... Guacamole has been on my to-do list though never got going on with it...
Thanks Rafeeda. You should try it. If you like avocado, you will love this.
this looks so awesome and yumm
Sounds too yum and healthy too..
I love guacamole - the recipe seems easy enough for a quick try!
Wow... looks so delicious...
Looks so yumm!! Colourful and sure would have tasted good too.
lovely presentation.. I dont get avacodos here very often, but I do love these dips 🙂
Look Awesome.....perfectly made....too yumm!!!!
Beautifully presented dip 🙂
Love this guacamole,simply enjoy this with some tortilla chips..Lovely alphabet posts Usha,enjoyed it.
That's really one colourful picture Usha..I enjoyed your alphabet posts..so innovative!..glad you joined us again.
Luv the presentation ,this ISA something which I have to still try,..:)
Rasya Srinath says
I am yet to try these.. every time i pick up avocados..we use it to make milkshake!!
indeed like Mirielle said, lovely presentation
lovely presentation in shell!!
very colorful. We love it too. Last week we were thinking that it has been a while since I made guacamole.
Suma Gandlur says
Yummy and colorful dip!