Tortilla in Spanish means small torta or small cake. Tortillas were originally made with corn flour and nowadays even wheat flour tortillas are equally popular. It is said that exiled Spanish Jews did not consider cornmeal to be kosher and made tortillas with wheat flour. Tortillas are similar to roti or chapathi. These are a staple in Mexico and in some of the Latin American countries. Tortillas are used to prepare various dishes and for the next three days I will be preparing dishes with tortillas.
For the first day, I have a vegetarian sandwich wrap. I usually make this wrap with sauteed mushrooms, green peppers and onions. This time I added some tofu pieces for protein, to make it a balanced meal. These wraps can be served for lunch, dinner or as an after school snack. To make the wraps spicy, I spread some coriander chutney on the tortilla before filling and wrapping. I used the spread for one wrap and made the other with out the spread. I liked the taste of both the wraps; with and without the spread. The one with the spread was off course a bit spicy and tangy.
I am not a big fan of tofu but am gradually liking it. I usually marinate it with lot of spices and fry it a little long to my liking. For the filling, I first sauteed marinated tofu, then added the veggies to tofu and sauteed it a little longer. I like crunchy veggies in wraps hence, did not saute the vegetables for too long. This is a quick and easy dish that can be put together in matter of minutes.
Total Time: 10 - 12 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 - 7 minutes
Yields: 2 small wraps
Measurements below are approximate measures.
- 2 small Flour Tortillas
- 1 - 2 tsp. Coriander Mint Chutney (opt)
- 1 - 2 tsp. Oil (approx.)
- 4 Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ - ⅓ medium Green Bell Pepper, sliced
- ⅛ cup Red Onion, sliced
- ⅛ - ¼ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- Dash of Salt (to taste)
- 3 oz. (approx.) Tofu, cut into bite size pieces (I used about ¼ block of tofu, and the block was 14 oz)
- ½ tsp. Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ - ½ Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ - 1 tsp. Lime Juice
- Tofu - Marinate tofu with all the ingredients listed under tofu for few hours or 10 - 15 minutes. Marination is optional but I prefer to marinate.
- Filling - Heat oil in a pan and saute tofu for 1 - 2 minutes on medium high heat until lightly fried.
- Add mushroom and saute for a minute or two until the mushrooms shrivel.
- Add bell peppers and saute for a minute.
- Add onions and saute for few seconds to a minute until onions are lightly fried.
- Taste the filling and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Remove from fire and let it cool. I like crunchy veggies and do not saute for too long. If one wants soft and fully cooked veggies, saute for few more minutes.
- Wrap - Heat tortilla in a pan for few seconds until it is warm. Flip and heat for few more seconds. Or follow the heating instructions on the back of the tortilla packet.
- Spread ½ - ¾ tsp. of coriander chutney on the tortilla. I used the spread for one tortilla and the other I kept it plain. I like the taste of both the wraps, with and without the chutney spread.
- Place half the filling in the middle of the tortilla, fold one end of the tortilla over the filling, tuck the sides and fold the wrap.
- Cut in half and serve. Repeat the same for the other tortilla.
- I usually use mushroom, bell peppers and onions for the filling and sometimes throw in the zucchini as well. For the meat version I use ground chicken or turkey or goat.
- Shredded fresh lettuce can also be added to the filling.
- Spread some mayo or guacamole over the fillings or on the tortilla.
- Can add some cheese if one wishes.
- These are some ideas for the fillings. You can use any filling or veggies you like to make the wraps.
This day in 2008: Mutton Shorva
This day in 2011: Red Bell Pepper Chutney
This day in 2012: Flan ~ Caramel Pudding
This day in 2013: Fenugreek Dal Stir Fry
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 53
Sneha datar says
A healthy sandwich.
I have never tried tofu, somehow it never appealed to me. This recipe sounds like a good place to start!
I also like marinated tofu but the kids don't mind the plain one too. So this wrap will be a very interesting option for us.
ruchi indu says
Lovely looking wrap. Should be ideal for picnics...
What a yummy looking tofu wrap. I have to try marinating tofu and cooking it, that sounds delicious.
We are not tofu fans but will try your method of marination and grilling, Mentally I was writing my post with paneer but. 😀
Looks yum. I think this is great for my kids snack.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
We love tofu and this recipe sounds so good. Love the marinade part. I have never cooked with mushrooms and do not eat them as much. I should try using them.
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) says
I;m not a tofu fan so I would replace with chicken but looks great
lovely little intro about tortillas and beautiful recipe to kick off the first day
Those marinated tofu sounds a prefect filling to enjoy thoroughly with mushroom in wrap, such a filling sandwich.
Marinated tofu is a great idea .. And d wrap is so filling n healthy 🙂
I love Tofu, Definitely will give this a try..
Praba Bubesh says
yummy and hearty wraps..lovely clicks..
Vaishali Sabnani says
Even I am not a fan of tofu, but definitely worth trying, and the clicks, they are absolutely fantastic.
Not a fan of tofu, maybe I should try this recipe. I like the texture of that chutney a lot.
Wow what a healthy dish Usha. Perfect healthy diet.
Priya Srinivasan says
I like the marination idea for tofu, we never prefer tofu, but should try it this way!! Love the wrap, i would prefer with that spicy spread!! a perfect meal!!!
Padma Rekha says
Very balanced and protein rich wrap Usha I like tofu but strictly no soy ingredients in my food looks yumm..
Very balanced wrap Usha..even I don't like tofu that much. Guess I should also marinate and grill before using it..the pictures are so nicely clicked..Ever since knowing this background, I can imagine you sitting out and peeping down your street..:)..and enjoying these wraps as well!