Indian Okra stir fry is a simple everyday dry curry prepared all across India. It is easy to prepare and goes well with rice and roti.
Okra is one of the most cooked vegetables all across India. Just like in many English speaking countries, in India okra is ladies finger. I am sure that is the British influence! Some of the regional names of okra are bhendi/bhindi in Hindi and bendakaya in Telugu, and the stir fry is bhendi subzi and bendakaya koora respectively. Okra fry or bhendi subzi is a common preparation all over India though the recipe varies region to region.
Bhendi subzi, as it is commonly known in most parts of the country is a comfort food to many. Regardless of the region, a basic stir fry requires very minimal Indian spices which are common in any Indian kitchen. Though the spices are minimal, it tastes amazing with steaming rice and Indian flatbreads. Today's version is from Andhra/Telangana states.
If you like okra stir fry / bendakaya koora / bhendi sabji, you may also like bendakaya tomato shorva ~ okra tomato stew.
How to make Indian Okra Stir Fry
Okra Stir Fry
- 1 ½ lbs Okra ~ Bhendi ~ Bendakaya ~ Ladies Finger
- 3 - 4 tablespoon Oil
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 4-8 Curry Leaves
- 1 - 2 tablespoon crushed Garlic
- 4 Green Chilies cut vertically into two pieces as you prefer
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon Chili Powder adjust to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic & ½ tsp. Cumin crushed (I did not use)
- Cilantro to garnish
- Wash okra and leave it in a colander for 10 – 15 minutes or for few hours to dry.
- If time is a constraint, pat dry with paper towels.
- Trim the edges and cut okra into ½” circles.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and sauté onions till translucent.
- Add curry leaves, green chilies and sauté until curry leaves change color.
- Add crushed garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Next add spices; turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and mix well.
- Add okra and stir until spices coat okra.
- Cook on high heat for 3-5 minutes until okra is lightly roasted in oil.
- Reduce the heat to medium to medium high, and cook stirring intermittently.
- When okra is no longer sticky, reduce the flame to low and cook until okra is fully cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it with steaming rice or roti.
- Okra here in the United States is very sticky and thinner the slices, sticky and slimy the stir fry / curry is. Hence do not cut into very thin slices
- Calories mentioned above is approximate calories per serving.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later