Today’s bake is again a Food52 contesting winning recipe. Potatoes are baked with zaatar, a Mediterranean spice mix. I used some commercial Zaatar that I bought to prepare Manakish. The first time I made these potatoes, I used medley of baby potatoes and used 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. of Zaatar as the recipe called for. I found the spice too strong. The second time I used fingerling potatoes and used less zaatar and it was perfectly spiced.
I forgot to upload the pictures before taking off on my vacation and am using the instagram picture I took with my smart phone. I took this picture the first time I made these potatoes and you can see the zaatar spice mix was too much. I did not get a chance to take picture the second time I baked the potatoes. I will update the post with more photos once I am back in NY.
Source: Food 52
Total Time: 50 – 60 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 40 – 50 minutes
- 1 ½ tbsp. Sesame Seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp. Dry Thyme
- 1 tbsp. Sumac
- ½ tbsp. Sea Salt
- Mix all ingredients together to make the spice blend. Spices can also be ground in a coffee grinder for a finer texture.
- 1 lb. Potatoes (I used fingerling potatoes and also baby potatoes)
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. Za’atar (I used store bought za’atar and used only 1 – 1 ½ tsp.)
- 1 tbsp. Aleppo Pepper or to taste (I used paprika)
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 ½ – 1 ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash and wipe potatoes. Cut them into to bite size pieces.
- Mix potatoes with rest of the ingredients. You can mix them in a bowl or in a baking dish/sheet in which the potatoes will be roasted.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes until potatoes are tender, roasted and golden brown. First time I used baby potatoes and it took 40 minutes. Second time I used fingerling potatoes were done in 30 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on the size.