For the last recipe of the week, I had many ideas but chaat was not one of them. Had I had sprouted moong bean chaat on mind, I would have replaced sprouts stir fry with another recipe. The plan was to cook either a moong dal tikki, bottle gourd dal, dal soup, moong dal wadi curry or crushed moong dal fry.
Day before yesterday as I was putting the leftovers in the fridge after dinner, I realized I had enough curries to last me at least another couple of days and as we were not going to eat those curries anyway on Friday & Saturday, I had enough to last me until early next week. Then I saw the sprouts. With all the cooking I am doing for cooking carnival, cooking with protein rich ingredients, it didn’t look like I was going to touch the sprouts anytime soon. That is when I thought why not use up the sprouts I have, instead of cooking with moong dal. Thus came the idea of chaat.
I made a simple curry with sprouts or usal with moong sprouts. In Maharashtrian cuisine, curry cooked with sprouts. I assembled the chaat with ingredients I had on hand. I topped usal with yogurt, onions, tomatoes, chaat masala, chili powder, salt, cumin powder and lime juice. I wish I had some sev, but had to go without it.
This was my yesterday's breakfast. It was a filling breakfast and would not mind this for light lunch or dinner either. I often make similar chaat with chickpeas and once in awhile with peas but never made with sprouts. Now I have another way to use up sprouts whenever I make sprouts at home.
Sprouted moong chaat is a wholesome and a filling meal. This is a low carb, healthy meal for people wanting to cut back on carbs. When I make such chaats for lunch or dinner, I throw in some diced cucumber and grated carrots as well. Since I made this for breakfast, I was not in a mood to eat vegetables in the morning. Just like most of the moong recipes, I at this chaat all by myself and enjoyed it to core. Of the 6 recipes I have posted, Mr U tasted only the laddu and khichdi.
Except the Ram Laddu, all the recipes for this week were cooked in this month after the marathon started. Though I enjoyed all the recipes, I am so glad I am done with my moong recipes for this month. I don't think I am going to cook with moong anytime soon!! All of you have a wonderful weekend and will be back on Monday with another protein rich ingredient.
Total Time: 25 - 30 minutes
Preparation: 15 - 20 minutes (to boil potato)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup Moong Bean Sprouts
- 1 small Potato, boiled and cut into small pieces or ½ cup boiled Potato pieces (I cut the potato into 24 pieces)
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ small Onion, chopped
- 1 small Green Chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ - 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of Turmeric
- ¾ small - medium sized Tomato, chopped or ⅓ - ½ cup chopped Tomato
- ¼ cup Water or as required
Add the ingredients below as needed.
- Chaat Masala
- Chili Powder
- Roasted Cumin Powder (optional)
- 2 - 3 tablespoon Onion, chopped
- ¼ Tomato, chopped
- Cilantro Leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup Yogurt, lightly beaten
- ¼ of Lime, juiced
- Cooking Sprouts - Wash sprouted moong beans and keep aside.
- Boil potato and cut into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin and let the seeds fry in oil.
- Add onions and fry until soft.
- Add green chilies, ginger garlic paste and fry until ginger smell is gone.
- Add coriander, chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, and stir. I prefer adding less salt and chili powder in the curry and sprinkling more on when assembling the chaat.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add sprouts and mix until spices coat sprouts.
- Add water to required consistency, cover and cook for couple of minutes until it comes to boil and sprouts are partly cooked. I don’t like to overcook sprouts and did not well cooked.
- Assembling Chaat - Take cooked sprouts in a serving bowl, pour yogurt on top, sprinkle chopped onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Sprinkle chaat masala, chili powder, salt and lime juice.
This day in 2014: Italy - Prosciutto Fresh Mozzarella Tomato Arugula Panini
This day in 2015: Rajasthani Laal Maas
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
[inlinkz_linkup id=648403 mode=1]
This reminds me of my childhood when my mom used to fill the pani puris with moong sprouts which was the only way we would eat them. Love this chaat !
Such a wholesome and wonderful way to use the sprouts usha. Your clicks are simply stunning! I enjoyed all your mong dal dishes though making them at one go could be boring. Great job still in coming up with such variety and sinful pics.
That is such a healthy chaat. Your clicks are tempting me to make some sprouts right away and make this tempting chaat 🙂
Smruti | Herbivore Cucina says
The chaat recipe is almost like an amazing Misal. Lovely and healthy too. Loving your sprouts series there!!
Suma Gandlur says
That is one filling and yummy chaat besides being guilt free.
Yummy yum yum. I love this chaat. Wish I can grab it off the screen.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
I don't mind having that bowl of sprouts chaat for breakfast. Looks so wonderful and I am drooling right now.
ha ha.. no more moong dal for a month kya? Same with me no more frying.. need to look out some detox diet.. Between this is an awesome recipe.
Sprouts moong chaat looks mouthwatering .Love the bright airy clicks.
Vaishali Sabnani says
Excellent sprout Chaat, and what a lovely breakfast ! Loving it, wish somebody could give me such a lovely breakfast.
I have never made a Chaat from cooked sprouts, will try this version, it surely would be a hit.
Such a lovely idea to use sprouts in this Dahi wala chaat ! Brilliant pics too 🙂
beautiful looking chat , i need to eat more of these dishes to satiate my palette and manage my weight
Harini-Jaya R says
We love this chaat, Usha. The pictures are a visual treat!
Sprouted moong beans chaat sounds innovative Usha.Looks so tempting and colorful..
Gayathri Kumar says
Very innovative way of using sprouts. Love your usal and with all the toppings, It looks super tempting..
Priya Suresh says
Seriously this sprouted moong bean chaat is very tempting, loaded with proteins. Lovely chaat food Usha.