Last Updated on
The bake for Baking Partners # 6 is a tart and I chose a savory tart suggested by Samantha. I made half the recipe, following the recipe to dart, except for the cheese. The recipe called for gruyere cheese and I used gruyere cheese for half the tart and paneer (Indian cheese) for the other half. I liked gruyere cheese better than paneer.
I bake the tart yesterday and it was cloudy all day. These was the best I could in terms of the photos.
Source: Wall Street Journal
Total Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet (I used Pepperidge Farm & a packet comes with 2 sheets)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ large Onion sliced or 1 ½ cups sliced Onion
- 2-3 springs Thyme
- 1/8 tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¾ tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- ¾ tbsp. Heavy Cream
- ¼ Sun Dried Tomato roughly chopped
- ½ Gruyere Cheese grated (I used ¼ cup Gruyere & ¼ cup Paneer)
- Follow the thawing instructions on the puff sheet box.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Place pastry sheet on a baking sheet and prick it a fork, leaving a ½ inch border untouched.
- Bake the pastry sheet for 10 minutes until it is lightly brown and let it cool on a cooling rack.
- While the pastry sheet is baking, heat oil in a pan or skillet and sauté sliced onion & thyme with pinch of salt on medium heat. Sauté the onions until golden brown and season it with remaining salt. The recipe said it would take 15 minutes but mine was done in 7-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix to together heavy cream and mustard.
- Once the pastry sheet is cool, put the pastry sheet back on the baking tray and spread mustard cream sauce on the baked pastry sheet leaving a ½” border untouched.
- First sprinkle half the cheese on the sheet. (I did half & half, and used gruyere cheese for half the sheet and paneer for the other half of the sheet. So, sprinkle 1/8 of gruyere on half sheet and 1/8 of the paneer on the other half of the sheet.)
- Spread sautéed onion on the cheese, followed by sundried tomatoes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on the top. (1/8 cup gruyere on one half of the sheet and paneer on the other half.)
- Put the tray back in the oven and bake the tart for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and browns in spots.