Semiya payasam is a rich, creamy milk pudding with vermicelli. It is an easy yet delicious Indian sweet recipe prepared for many festivals.
Payasam or kheer is a milk based sweet usually prepared with vermicelli, sabudana or rice. Sometimes a combination of sabudana and vermicelli are used. Kheer is garnished with roasted raisins and cashew nuts.
- Frying Pan
- Sauce Pan
- Spoon for stirring
- 1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter or ghee/clarified butter I recommend ghee
- ¼ cup Raisins
- ¼ cup Cashew Nuts
- 1 cup Semiya or Vermicelli
- 5 cups milk
- ¾ cup Sugar adjust to taste
- ½ Cardamon Powder oops, I forgot to add this when preparing… it is an approx. measure
- In a sauce pan bring milk to a boil.
- Meantime, heat butter in a pan and roast raisins and cashews until light golden brown. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, roast semiya until golden brown.
- When milk comes to a boil, add the semiya and continue to boil the milk until semiya is cooked. This should take about 10 minutes
- Add sugar, cashews and raisins, cardamon powder and continue to boil the milk until sugar is dissolved.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Use whole milk for a rich creamy payasam. But 2% milk also works.