Starting today, I am on a blogging marathon for the next seven days. Just like the previous marathons, we have a theme to choose. But this time, we have an option of doing two themes, one theme for three days and the other one for four days. I picked cooking with less than five ingredients and condiments. For cooking with five or less ingredients, we can count oil, salt and tempering/seasoning as one ingredient.
For the first day of the marathon, I made zucchini rice with five or less ingredients. I counted oil, salt and tempting ingredients as one ingredient. I adapted the recipe from Manjula’s Kitchen and substituted red chilies with green, cumin with caraway seeds and omitted the mustard seeds.
Rice turned out good and it tasted like bagara rice (without any vegetables). I was tempted to add a few more ingredients to further enhance the flavor but held backed as I had to cook with five or less ingredients. The next time I make, I will certainly add a few more. This rice is cooked by sautéing shredded zucchini & rice in the tempering and then cooking the rice until done. Here is how I made.
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- 2-4 Cardamoms I used 4
- 2 Cloves
- ½" Cinnamon Stick
- 1 teaspoon Caraway Seeds/Black Cumin/Shaha Jeera
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 6 Green Chilies split into two pieces use 4 for a milder heat
- 2 cups Shredded Zucchini
- 2 cup Rice
- 1 ½ teaspoon Lime Juice
- Wash rice and soak it for at least 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I soaked it for about 20 minutes.
- Shred the zucchini.
- Heat oil in a pan; add shah jeera, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon and fry for a few seconds, until they are roasted and nice aroma comes.
- Add the green chilies roast for a few seconds.
- Add zucchini and sauté for a minute.
- Add rice and continue to sauté for another minute are so.
- Add 3 ½ cups water (1 cup rice : 1 ¾ cups water), salt, lime juice and mix well.
- Cover and cook until it boils. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until water evaporates.
- Reduce to the heat to low and cook for another five minutes until all the water evaporates, another five minutes are so.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with cilantro and serve hot your favorite curry.
- Variation to prepare this rice is addition of mint leaves, onion and ginger garlic paste.
Looks good! Thanks for submitting your recipe to the Healing Foods event!
Suma Gandlur says
Sounds very interesting!
Wow Usha 🙂
Awesome will definetely try 😀
tempting and delciious rice 🙂 Nice presentation 🙂
ARS Event-E for Egg Recipes
Vidhya Jayadeep says
Looks very delicious.... i love one pot meals.. and this one is a must try..
Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal says
wow, that looks super delicious 🙂
LOL for "I was tempted to add a few more ingredients to further enhance the flavor but held backed as I had to cook with five or less ingredients."
Zucchini rice looks yumm.. Will try.
hehehe, I have a bad habit of tweaking the recipe.. if not for the theme, I would have added a few more ingredients.. 🙂
Usha, good to have you back on the BM. I am looking fwd to your interesting theme..Rice looks very inviting..
never tried this combo but should be light and satiating.
Lovely twist with zucchini !
New Event: Fasting Foods – Vrat ka Khaana Special
Event: healthy Lunchbox ideas – Carrots – all this August
perfect looking rice
Looks delicious!!!will soon try this.