Ground Chicken Taco Salad
My theme for this week’s blogging marathon is Salads. Last month when Pavani posted Taco Salad recipe, I listed it down for this week’s theme. By then I had already decided the theme and wanted to try it with ground chicken.
I made the salad early this week and tweaked it a little. Husband did not want any tortilla chips in his salad and when preparing the salad I realized I had run out of canned chopped green chilies. I used less veggies and more ground chicken to our liking.
I felt the salad was ok and was in two minds if to post it or not. I felt the salad dressing was a bit sweet to my taste and wished I had used at least some chopped fresh green chilies to spice it up a bit. I asked husband 2-3 times if he really liked the salad and he said yes. He also said that since the salad had more chicken in it, he thought it tasted fine and would eat it again. That was a good enough feedback to post the recipe here.
Adapted from: Taste of Home
Total Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 – 15 minutes
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 Envelope Taco Seasoning (I used hot and spicy taco seasoning)
- 2 – 3 oz. Baby Lettuce or Iceberg Lettuce, approx. 2 cups broken lettuce leaves
- ⅓ big Red Onion sliced, approx. ¾ cup when sliced
- 20 pitted Ripe Olives, sliced or ⅓ – ½ cup sliced Ripe Black Olives
- 12 – 15 Grape Tomatoes cut into half, approx. ¾ cup
- ¾ – 1 cup canned Red Kidney Beans
- ¾ cup finely grated Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Thousand ISland Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup Salsa (I used tostito mild salsa)
- 2 tsp. Taco Seasoning
- Heat oil in a pan and saute ground chicken with one envelope of taco seasoning until chicken is cooked. I used a stainless steel pan and it took about 10 – 12 minutes to cook ground chicken. If using a nonstick pan, can use less oil.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce, olives, tomatoes, onions, ground chicken and keep aside.
- Mix together thousand island dressing, salsa and taco seasoning (listed below salsa). Can add 1-2 tsp. of sugar which I left out. Also, you may not require all this dressing for this salad.
- Take salad in a serving bowl, sprinkle cheddar cheese and pour desired dressing over it and serve. I like to serve dressing separately and one can add as much dressing as one prefers.
- I did not have a can of chopped green chilies on hand and did not use. I would strongly recommend using it.
- The original recipe called for lots of crushed tortilla chips. Husband did not want any and hence left it out. However, I added some crushed tostitos tortilla chips and liked the crunchiness it gave to the salad.
- Adjust veggies in the salad to one’s preference. I used less veggies and more ground chicken as that is how we prefer.
- I used Taco Seasoning to season ground chicken. A variation to this would be chili powder, garam masala and ginger garlic paste.
This day in 2011: Crispy Dosa