Easy Apple Trifle, No Bake Dessert
Apple trifle is a quick and easy layered dessert. Chopped caramelized apples and vanilla custard are arranged in layers, and topped with whipped cream. Normally trifle also has a layer of cake and in this easy version, cake is replaced with graham crackers. Continue reading or jump to recipe
Apple trifle is easy to prepare and assemble, which makes it a great make ahead party dessert. Assembling apple trifle in mini individual serving glasses makes it a mess free dessert at parties.
Trifle is an English dessert prepared layering sherry or wine soaked sponge cake, egg custard and whipped creamed. Later versions included fresh fruit, jelly and/or jam. Over the years, the recipe evolved and for ease of convenience, powdered custard and instant pudding (Jello instant pudding) replaced egg custards.
Apple Trifle Recipe
Total Time: 25 – 35 minutes
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Makes: 6 mini trifles
- 2 Red Delicious Apples
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Dark brown Sugar
- ½ Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Custard (require only ½ – ¾ of this custard)
- 2 cups Milk (I used 2% milk, can use whole as well)
- 3 tbsp. Custard Powder (I used Bird’s custard powder. It is available in Indian and speciality stores)
- 4 tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- ⅛ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 sheets of Graham Crackers, powdered
- Whipped Cream (I used Reddi Wip)
- 6 (3 ½ – 3 ¾ oz) Glasses
- Wash, peel, core and chop apples into ¾ – 1” pieces.
- Take chopped apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon powder and butter in a small saute pan. Mix together all the ingredients.
- Cook apples for few minutes until sugar melts. Reduce the flame to medium and continue cooking until sugar caramelizes and coats apple pieces. Sugar syrup should thicken and almost coat apples. This should take about 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from fire and let cool.
- Take 1 ¾ cups of milk in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Meantime, take remaining ¼ cup milk in a small bowl, add custard powder, make a lump free paste and keep the paste aside.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the flame, add custard paste to boiled milk and stir constantly to make a smooth lump free custard.
- Cook for few more minutes until custard coats the back of the spoon.
- Add vanilla extract and 3 tbsp of sugar.
- Keep stirring until sugar melts and custard is thick. Keep in mind, custard thickens after cooling.
- Turn of the flame, sprinkle remaining sugar on custard and keep aside to cool. Sugar will melt and prevent the custard from forming a thick layer on the surface.
- Sprinkle about 1 tsp of graham cracker powder at the bottom of the glasses.
- Add 1 ½ – 2 tsp of caramelized apples followed by 1 ½ – 2 tbsp of custard.
- Add another layer of graham cracker powder, apples and custard.
- Refrigerate the glasses until ready to serve. There should be some leftover graham cracker powder, keep it aside.
- When ready to serve, top the glasses with some whipped cream and sprinkle some powdered graham crackers on top of whipped cream.
- To make the preparation even easier, use instant vanilla pudding mix however, I like the taste of cooked custard better.
- I like custard than fruit in my trifle and arranged the trifle to my liking. There is no hard rule on fruit to custard ratio and assemble trifle to ones liking. I used little over 1 cup of custard for assembling apple trifle.
Like the recipe, Pin It.
This day in 2014:Cannellini Beans Curry