In one of FB groups, whenever someone requests a recipe for apple cake, one of my virtual friends V always recommends Padma’s apple cake. I never got an opportunity to bake the cake until 10 days ago. The made ⅓rd of the recipe in my mini bundt pan and it was delicious. The cake is served with a glaze or butter sauce.
By the time I baked the cake it was already getting dark and the cake had to cool for an hour before it is flipped over to a platter. I took the picture in the pan when it was cooling. After transferring the cake to a platter, I took a quick picture with my point & shoot camera before slicing it. I was afraid my bundt pan might be small and in fact after baking, the cake raised above the rim. I could not pour all the sauce into the pan as it was already full. Nevertheless, the cake had a nice depth after removing from the pan.
Source: Padma’s Kitchen
Total Time: 75 – 80 minutes
Preparation: 15 – 20 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Yields: 1 mini (3 cups) bundt pan
Serves: 6 – 8 (1 ½”) slices
- Butter for greasing the pan (I used pam to spray the pan)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ - ⅔ cups (I used ½ cup)
- ¼ + ⅛ tsp. Baking Soda
- Dash of Salt, little less than ⅛ tsp.
- ¼ - ½ tsp. Cinnamon Powder (Check note below)
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp. Orange Juice
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 medium sized Apple cored, peeled and finely chopped or 1 cup chopped Apple (I used Granny Smith)
- ⅓ shredded Coconut
- ⅓ cup chopped Almonds or preferred nuts ( I used sliced almonds and lightly crushed with my fingers)
- 2 ½ tbsp. Butter
- ¼ - ⅓ cup Sugar
- 2 ½ - 3 tbsp. Buttermilk (I used 2 tbsp. yogurt and ½ - 1 tbsp. milk)
- ⅛ + a dash of Baking Soda
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (160C). Grease the pan with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Cake – In bowl mix together sugar, egg, oil, orange juice, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Fold in chopped apples, coconut and nuts to the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until tester comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Sauce: prepare the sauce just before cake is done. It takes about 5 – 10 minutes to prepare the sauce.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and stir in rest of the ingredients. Bring it to a rolling boil stirring it constantly. I actually took all the ingredients in a pan and melted on medium flame until butter melted and then increased the flame to bring it to rolling boil.
- Boil it for 1 more minute and pour it on to the hot cake once the cake is removed from the oven.
- Let it stand for 1 hour, then turn it to a platter or cake stand or a serving plate and let cool completely.
- Cut and serve the cake cold. I refrigerated the left over cake and warmed it for 20 seconds in the microwave before serving. Or leave it on counter top for ½ hour before serving.
- Cinnamon Powder - I used little over ¼ tsp. but left I could have used more. If one likes cinnamon in cakes, then one can use up to 1 tsp. of powder.
- Pan - I used a 3 cup mini bundt pan but any shaped pan can be used.
- Baking Time - If making full recipe, that is 3 times the recipe listed above, baking time would 1 ½ hours.
- I liked the slightly burnt crust and would not have minded baking it for another 5 – 10 minutes for thick burnt crust.
Chef Mireille says
that bundt pan is making all your cakes look so gorgeous
Priya Srinivasan says
Lovely Bundt Usha, Cake looks tempting!
I love your bundt cake pan's design Usha. It has very dramatic lines. Apple cake sounds and looks delicious.
I simply love your bundt pan, am looking for this pattern here but hard to figure it out.. Cake looks simply prefect for an evening snacks.
The apple cake surely has come out well..and as Varada says your pan pattern looks so beautiful..
Sneha datar says
A delicious and yummy cake, love the design of the bundt pan.
I love the pattern on your bundt pan. Apple cake sounds delicious especially with the glaze drilled over the top.