Crunchy oats butterscotch cookies are so delicious that kids can’t stop eating.
This past Thursday I met some of my blogging friends for lunch. Pavani gave us some cookies that she baked for Home Bakers Challenge (HBC). Cookies were delicious. I had checked the recipes we were suppose to bake for this month but I completely forgot about the challenge.
Rafeeda had challenged us with six oats recipes for this month. That day Rajani also shared some yummy cookies. She packed the cookies in the colorful tin you see in the pictures below. Her cookies were also addictive and the tin is a great prop.
Cookies that Pavani shared were so delicious and I baked some for the weekend family gathering. I was hoping my cousin’s children would like them. It turned out that my niece is not a cookies fan but nephew is and he loved the cookies. I was planning on baking another oats recipe for Home Bakers Challenge and since everyone loved these cookies, decided post these for this month’s HBC.
Oats Butterscotch Cookies
Source: Hershey’s Butterscotch Chips Packet
Total Time: 18 – 25 minutes
Preparation: 10 – 13 minutes
Bake Time: 8 – 12 minutes
Oats butterscotch cookies are very addictive, crunchy and delicious
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 cups Old Fashioned Oats (check noted)
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips (I used ¾ cup butterscotch + ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips)
Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180C.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. I used one large sheet and one medium sheet.
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon powder in a bowl.
In a separate bowl beat soft butter and sugars till creamy and fluffy.
Add egg, essence and beat until combined.
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and beat until well combined.
Fold in oats and butterscotch chips.
Drop spoonful of batter onto a cookie sheet or shape cookies with hand and place on cookie sheet. I did the latter.
Bake for 8 – 12 minutes for chewy cookies and longer for crispy cookies. I baked for 12 minutes. I baked in two batches, 1 large cookie sheet and one medium cookie sheet. Check notes below.
Let the cookies cool for few minutes on cookie sheet, transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
Store in airtight container.
- Oats – I used old fashioned oats which were less than 2 cups, about 1 3/4 cup. I used one instant oats packet to make it 2 cups. Old fashioned oats give cookies a nice crunch but if one wants, instant oats can also be used, though I have not tried using only instant oats.
- Butterscotch Chips – I had less than 1 cup of butterscotch chips and substituted the rest with semi sweet chocolate chips; ¾ cup butterscotch + ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Baking Time – I baked in two batches for 12 minutes. While the first batch was baking, my second batch was out for 5-8 minutes & I lined the second tray with aluminum foil. Second batch turned slightly brown in color and was perfectly baked, though I baked both the batched for 12 minutes.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later
This day in 2011: B&W Wednesday – Bowl of Pistachios