The second banana bread for this week is banana chocolate chip. Banana and chocolate go well together and complement each other. Addition of few chocolate chips to the banana bread, takes the bread to another level. Continue reading or jump to recipe
Banana chocolate bread is an easy and decadent bread. This is also a nice way to use up ripe bananas. Today’s banana bread is not as rich as the banana bread with sour cream I posted on Monday, but it still has some calories in the form of butter.
I made ½ the original recipe in a mini loaf pan (5 ¾”). Mini loaf pan was smaller for the quantity hence the loaf was deep. Despite using a slightly smaller loaf pan, bread baked beautifully and tasted wonderful.
Just before publishing this post, I made a sudden plan to meet my cousins in DC. Though my last post for this bake-a-thon is baked, I have not drafted the post nor edited the photos yet. I will be back in NY late Friday night or Saturday morning. Which means, my last post might be delayed. If I can manage to upload the pictures before I take off this afternoon, I shall try to post it as scheduled, on Friday itself. If not, shall see you all on Saturday and until then, you all enjoy this banana chocolate chip bread.
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Source: Sweet & Simple Bakes
Total Time: 65 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 55 minutes
Yields: 5 ¾” loaf
- 125 grams (4 ½ oz) Self-Raising Flour*
- Dash of salt (1/16 tsp)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 75 grams Superfine Sugar ~ Castor Sugar
- 50 grams (1 ¾ oz) Butter, softened (roughly ½ stick butter)
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Zest of ½ Orange (I used zest of 1 orange)
- 235 grams (8 ½ oz) Whole Bananas, about 2 Bananas, peeled
- 35 grams Dark Chocolate Chips (I used chocolate morsels but would highly recommend using chips or mini morsels as these are smaller than regular morsels)
*Note - To make self raising flour at home, mix 100 grams of all purpose flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and whisk.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Lightly butter and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift dry ingredients; flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, butter and using fingertips, rub it into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Mash bananas and add it egg mixture. Mash again until everything is mixed well.
- Add chocolate chips to wet ingredients, make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well.
- Gently mix everything with a wooden spoon to bring everything together.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan, bake in a preheated oven until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. If making double the recipe, use a regular loaf pan, 9x5” pan and baking time will be 1 - 1 ¼ hours.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
This day in 2015: Baked Kakarakaya ~ Baked Bitter Gourd
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016
[inlinkz_linkup id=680533 mode=1]
Srivalli Jetti says
Wow this bread looks so inviting Usha...love how pretty the crust looks..
You are making the banana bread so beautifully. I tried twice but it was too bad.
That's a perfectly baked banana bread. My kids would love this.
Priya Suresh says
Omg, those chocolate morsels are real torture, stunning banana bread, irresistible.