Banana nut bread is a dense bread cake made with ripe bananas. Today's banana nut bread with sour cream is a rich and a moist bread by Martha Stewart. I followed the recipe to dot. It is a perfect bread to serve for breakfast, as a snack or during teatime. If one isn’t calories conscious, this delicious banana nut bread is a must try.
I am not a banana fan but lately I am loving bakes with bananas, though I still have an aversion to the fruit. For the last week of this bake-a-thon, I have three banana bread cakes and all mouthwatering. Apart from these three breads, banana chocolate chip muffins is another delightful bake with bananas I baked this month.
The first bread for this week is a banana nut bread with sour cream and butter. Use of both sour cream and butter makes it a rich and delectable bread. I made ½ the recipe which yields 2 mini loaves. Full recipe yields 4 mini loaves or one 9" loaf. Recipe listed below is half the original recipe.
Source: Martha Stewart
Total Time: 41 - 46 minutes
Preparation: 10 - 15 minutes
Bake Time: 31 minutes
Yields: 2 (5.75”) mini loaves
- ¼ cup (½ stick ~ 4 tbsp) Butter, at room temperature + more for greasing the pans
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup mashed very Ripe Banana (1 medium sized banana)
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup chopped Walnuts or Pecans (Martha Stewart suggested pecans, I used walnuts)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease 2 mini loaf pans with butter and keep aside.
- In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients; flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer.
- Add egg and beat until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add mashed banana, sour cream, vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Stir in nuts and pour the batter into greased pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven until a toothpick or a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. In my oven, the bread were done in 31 minutes. If making double the recipe and using a 9” loaf pan, according to the recipe, bake time is 70 minutes.
- Let the bread rest in the pan for 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container. The bread was fresh for 2 days at room temperature.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016