For the last day of condiments for buffet on table, I made fresh tomato sauce. Later when I checked the condiments list, tomato sauce was not on the list and I had to make another condiment.
I will post tomato sauce recipe tomorrow. Here is the tomato sauce recipe. I bought a bunch of basil to prepare tomato sauce. That required only few basil leaves and I had almost a bunch of basil that needed to be used up very soon. I made this pesto sauce few hours ago. I took very quick picture before the sunset as I would be very busy all day Saturday and might not have time to click any pictures.
Pesto is a sauce that originated in Northern Italy, prepared with garlic, cheese, pine nuts and basil. I made my version of pesto using walnuts, green chili and basil. I did not use cheese here as it can always be added later when using the pesto. Pesto can used as a sauce for pasta and also as a spread for sandwiches.
- 1 bunch Basil or 2 cups fresh Basil Leaves
- ¼ cup Walnuts lightly toasted
- 2 - 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chili
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ - ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese (I did not use it)
- Take all the ingredients in a food processor bowl and pulse it a few times, scraping edges, until basil and walnuts are coarsely ground.
- Adjust salt to taste, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Additional oil can be poured on top if storing for a longer time.
- I used green chili here but traditionally pepper powder is used.
- I used walnuts instead of pinenuts.
- I did not add cheese as I wanted to add it later when preparing pasta or when using it as a spread.
This day in 2014: Qatar - Qahwa Helw ~ Flavored Coffee
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) says
pesto is always one of my fave sauces - walnuts are cheaper so great substitute
Priya Srinivasan says
Lovely green usha!!! I always make it with walnuts, pine nuts are a bomb to buy, would love to taste it with pine nuts someday!!!
Sneha datar says
My daughter's favorite .. loves pesto.
Suma Gandlur says
I am surprised that how come tomato sauce is not a condiment. Actually I too made it and didn't post during the marathon.
That pesto sounds flavorful.
Pesto is such a flavorful sauce. Even my son loves it. Your version with walnuts looks great.
The one time I tried making pesto with walnuts, my kids didn't like it. I must try it again. This looks very much doable.
one of our favorite sauce for pastas. Great
Pesto looks amazing Usha..btw tomato sauce is a condiment..why do you say it is not?
Pesto who will say no to this flavourful aromatic condiment, love it to the core.
Vaishali Sabnani says
One sauce that I simply can't resist..love it in pizzas too..super, well captured.
Basil walnut pest looks tempting.I just need a bowl of spaghetti to finish it.Love your series.
I make pesto with walnuts too and somehow like it more than the pine nuts version. Your pesto looks vibrant.
First what a beautiful picture, basil pesto is my all time favorite with pasta looks yummm..