For the last day of condiments for buffet on table, I made fresh tomato sauce. Later when I checked the condiments list, tomato sauce was not on the list and I had to make another condiment.
I will post tomato sauce recipe tomorrow. Here is the tomato sauce recipe. I bought a bunch of basil to prepare tomato sauce. That required only few basil leaves and I had almost a bunch of basil that needed to be used up very soon. I made this pesto sauce few hours ago. I took very quick picture before the sunset as I would be very busy all day Saturday and might not have time to click any pictures.
Pesto is a sauce that originated in Northern Italy, prepared with garlic, cheese, pine nuts and basil. I made my version of pesto using walnuts, green chili and basil. I did not use cheese here as it can always be added later when using the pesto. Pesto can used as a sauce for pasta and also as a spread for sandwiches.
- 1 bunch Basil or 2 cups fresh Basil Leaves
- ¼ cup Walnuts lightly toasted
- 2 - 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chili
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ - ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese (I did not use it)
- Take all the ingredients in a food processor bowl and pulse it a few times, scraping edges, until basil and walnuts are coarsely ground.
- Adjust salt to taste, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Additional oil can be poured on top if storing for a longer time.
- I used green chili here but traditionally pepper powder is used.
- I used walnuts instead of pinenuts.
- I did not add cheese as I wanted to add it later when preparing pasta or when using it as a spread.
This day in 2014: Qatar - Qahwa Helw ~ Flavored Coffee