Greek Tzatziki sauce is a cucumber yogurt sauce or a dip served with grilled meats, pita bread, pita chips, veggies, and also as a sauce for gyros.
What is Greek Tzatziki Sauce?
Tzatziki sauce is a yogurt cucumber sauce or dip. The pungent taste of garlic and extra virgin olive oil enhance flavor and dill gives this it a unique taste and flavor.
Apart from being an awesome dip, it also serves as a great accompaniment for many Greek and mediterranean dishes. The key to good tzatziki is thick yogurt or Greek yogurt, salted & well drained grated / diced cucumber. We prefer grated cucumber.
Theme of the Week
The theme for this week is chutneys, dips and spreads. The first two recipes for the week were zucchini tomato chutney and cottage cheese guacamole. The last recipe is Greek Tzatziki sauce which serves as a dip and a sauce.
- Grater or a Food Processor
- Colander or a strainer
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 small-medium English Cucumber grated (approx. 1 cup after grating)
- ½ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ¾. – 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Clove of Garlic grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 – 3 teaspoon Lime Juice
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- ½ – 1 teaspoon chopped Dill
- Wash and grate cucumber using a large grater blade or grate in a food processor.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of salt with cucumber, place in a strainer and let drain. If time permits, leave it in the fridge overnight. Else, 30 minutes to a hour is good enough. Squeeze out as much liquid from cucumber grate as possible and keep aside.
- Take yogurt in a bowl, add grated cucumber, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, pepper, remaining salt and mix well.
- Just before serving, add dill and mix well. I used ½ teaspoon as I find dill flavor very strong. If one likes it, can add more to taste.
- Serve tzatziki with grilled chicken, pita bread, pita chips, over gyros and also as a condiment with Greek food.
- Cucumber – Cucumber can be grated or finely diced. I prefer grating.
- Yogurt – Greek yogurt is a must for this sauce. Greek yogurt is thick yogurt and if one cannot procure it, hang yogurt in a cheese cloth and leave it overnight.
- Sauce – If time permits, make the sauce by mixing Greek yogurt, garlic, lime juice, salt and olive oil. Refrigerate overnight along with cucumber. This lets the sauce infuse all the flavors. Next day, add cucumber and dill.
- Dill – I use dill sparingly as I am not very fond it’s flavor. I feel it overpowers the dish it is used in.