Strawberry yogurt or strawberry shrikhand is thick sweetened yogurt, flavored with strawberries. It is a delicious breakfast, a snack and a dessert.
What is Strawberry Shrikhand?
Shrikhand is thick, sweet, hung yogurt. It is a popular dessert in Indian states of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Traditionally, it is flavored with cardamom and/or saffron. Strawberry shrikhand is a twist to traditional recipe where sweet strawberry puree is used to flavor yogurt. Here is a mango shrikhand I made few years ago.
3 Ingredient Recipe
Ingredients for strawberry shrikhand are strawberries, yogurt and sugar. Nuts are optional, hence did not include the ingredient count.
- Strawberries - Use fresh strawberries and cook the berries until soft. You can use frozen berries but my personal preference is fresh berries.
- Yogurt - Use strained (hung) homemade or store bought yogurt. The key to a good creamy shrikand is thick yogurt with minimum water content. A good alternative to hung yogurt is Greek Yogurt. It also saves time and also makes a good semi homemade shrikhand.
- Sugar - Adjust sugar to taste.
- Nuts - Garnish with nuts but it is optional.
How to prepare Strawberry Yogurt?
Cook strawberries with sugar until soft, puree and mix it with hung or strained yogurt. Instead of straining yogurt, the easiest substitute is Greek yogurt, thus making this a semi homemade recipe. It is a 3 ingredient, quick and easy recipe that is done in under 30 minutes. The only time consuming step of the recipe is cooling strawberry sugar mixture.
When & how to serve?
Serve strawberry shrikhand as a dessert, for breakfast or even as a snack. Though it is an Indian dessert, it is very versatile. Shrikhand is garnished with nuts and I left it out in this recipe. When serving it for breakfast or as a snack, highly recommend adding nuts. The recipe calls for ¼ cup sugar and if one doesn't have a sweet tooth or does not like sweet breakfast, adjust to taste.
Theme for this week is colorful food and the second recipe is semi homemade strawberry yogurt or strawberry shrikhand. The first recipe in this series is yesterday's carrot sabudana kheer or tapioca pudding.
More Strawberries Recipes
Strawberry Shrikhand ~ Strawberry Yogurt
- 1 ½ cups Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed chopped Strawberries
- Take chopped strawberries and sugar in a saucepan.
- Cook on medium flame stirring until sugar melts.
- Continue cooking until strawberries are very soft and mixture thickens a bit. Reduce flame if necessary.
- Turn off the flame, let the mixture cool.
- In a blender or using an immersion blender, blend strawberries mixture.
- Add yogurt and pulse to mix everything together.
- Transfer to serving bowls and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped nuts when serving. It is optional though.
- Yogurt - Substitute nonfat Greek yogurt with strained or hung yogurt. Take yogurt in a cheese cloth and leave it to strain for 6-12 hours.
- Nuts - Garnish with chopped nuts.
- Mango - substitute strawberries with mango pulp for another variation to traditional shrikhand. Check out the full recipe for Mango shrikhand.
- Nutrition - Nutritional info mentioned is approximate for one serving.