Strawberry yogurt or strawberry shrikhand is thick yogurt, flavored with strawberries. It is a delicious breakfast, a snack and a dessert.
Theme of the Week – Colorful Food
Theme for this week is colorful food and the second recipe is semi homemade strawberry yogurt or strawberry shrikhand. The first recipe in this series is yesterday’s carrot sabudana kheer or tapioca pudding.
What is Strawberry Shrikhand?
Shrikhand is thick, sweet, hung yogurt. It is a popular dessert in Indian states of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Traditionally, it is flavored with cardamom and/or saffron. Strawberry shrikhand is a twist to traditional recipe where sweet strawberry puree is used to flavor yogurt. Here is mango shrikhand I made few years ago.
How to prepare Strawberry Yogurt?
Cook strawberries with sugar until soft, puree and mix it with hung or strained yogurt. Instead of straining yogurt, the easiest substitute is Greek yogurt, thus making this a semi homemade recipe. It is a 3 ingredient, quick and easy recipe that is done in under 30 minutes. The only time consuming step of the recipe is cooling strawberry sugar mixture.
Though it is a dessert, it is very versatile. Serve it for breakfast or even as a snack. Shrikhand is garnished with nuts and I left it out in this recipe. When serving it for breakfast or as a snack, highly recommend adding nuts. The recipe calls for ¼ cup sugar and if one doesn’t have a sweet tooth, adjust to taste.
Strawberry Shrikhand ~ Strawberry Yogurt Recipe
Strawberry Shrikhand ~ Strawberry Yogurt
- 1 ½ cups Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed chopped Strawberries
- Take chopped strawberries and sugar in a saucepan.
- Cook on medium flame stirring until sugar melts.
- Continue cooking until strawberries are very soft and mixture thickens a bit. Reduce flame if necessary.
- Turn off the flame, let mixture cool.
- In a blender or using an immersion blender, blend strawberries mixture.
- Add yogurt and pulse to mix everything together.
- Transfer to serving bowls and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped nuts when serving. It is optional though.
- Substitute nonfat yogurt with strained or hung yogurt. Take yogurt in a cheese cloth and leave it to strain for 6-12 hours.
- Garnish with chopped nuts.
Like the recipe, Pin It.