It feels like fall/winter today. The temperature is in 40’s, which is not bad at all but the cloudy sky is making it feel a lot colder. On this gloomy day, I felt like having a light, hot soup and some homemade pizza, for lunch. I had actually planned on making dumpling soup today but was in no mood for it. I was in a mood for a light soup with lots of veggies in it. The remaining soups that I had jotted down for the marathon are heavy soups. I went to William Sonoma recipe center in search of a light soup and found Bok Choy and Shiitake Soup. I had some Portobello mushrooms in the fridge and I picked up a bunch of Bok Choy and made this soup for lunch. I certainly liked the flavors of the veggies in the soup and I also think homemade stock was crucial to this flavorful soup! If you liked Lentils Vegetable Soup, you will like this soup too.
Source: William Sonoma
Total Time: 15 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups Homemade Vegetable Stock (can use store bought)
- ¾ - 1 cup loosely packed thinly sliced Bok Choy
- ¾ cup sliced Portobello Mushrooms or 3-4 baby Portobello Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Spring Onion chopped
- Some Cilantro chopped (I had some leftover chopped cilantro and add it to the soup)
- 1 tsp. Tamari Sauce or Soy Sauce
- ⅛ tsp. Sesame Oil
- ¼ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp. Pepper Powder (adjust to taste)
- Bring 2 cups of stock to boil.
- Meantime, wash and thinly slice bok choy. Discard the thick stem of the bok choy. Slice the mushrooms and rest of the ingredients need for the soup.
- When the stock comes to a boil, reduce the flame to medium low, add all the ingredients and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve hot.
This day, this month, this year - Tandoori Tofu Pizza for the Punch
Soup looks delicious
Tried once a simple soup with bokchoy, this soup sounds wonderful..cant wait to try..
Anusha Birlangi says
I made this today for dinner 🙂 ... it was yummm!!! thank you so much for this wonderful soup..
That was quick, Anusha.. Thanks for trying it out.. 🙂
Soup looks good Usha!!
nice combo of mushrooms with greens..soup looks yumm..
never tried bok choy at home,soup looks delicious,
Oh then you guys ought to come down here..:)...Soup sounds good Usha..though I have not cooked with Bok choy..
Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi says
What a coincidence..everyone seems to be talking about the wet/cloudy weather 🙁 Definitely need some hot soup for dinner tonite!
Tell me about the weather. I am so ready for real spring and even summer. Soup looks good. Blogging is no fun with such lighting. I can't even take pictures with this light.
Me too, waiting for better weather and looking fwd to walking around in flip flops and sandals! You are right about the lighting and it is not fun at all taking pictures in this weather.