Carrot radish salad is a quick, easy and a delicious side dish. Serve it with rice, roti and even grilled meats.
Theme of the Week
This week’s theme is meal time dishes and it could be any meal. The first recipe for this theme is carrot radish salad, a great accompaniment to a meal.
Carrot Radish Koshimbir
Gajar mooli koshimbir is a light, vegan accompaniment to Maharashtrian meal. What makes this koshimbir different from other Indian salads is addition of crushed peanuts. In fact this koshimbir is lot similar to carrot pachadi we make at home but with no peanuts. And sprouts in carrot pachadi is my addition and is optional.
Koshimbir is usually tempered with some cumin seeds and asafoetida. Due to mere laziness, I skip this step. Sometimes, I substitute tempering with a drizzle of olive oil and most often make it zero oil.
The first time I made it was couple of years ago for the Maharashtrian Thali and ever since, it is my go to recipe when looking for a light accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken. This time it is part of a simple meal, served along with thai eggplant curry, rasam and rice.
The main ingredients are carrot, onion, radish and peanuts. All these 4 ingredients can be adjust to one's taste. Equal quantities of grated carrot, grated radish and chopped onion works great but I personally prefer less onion. Use a food processor to grate these vegetables.
In the below recipe I used less radish because that is all I had in my fridge when I made it for the blog. Use either red round radish or the long white radish. I prefer the red round ones. If you likes peanuts, add more peanuts, up to 4-5 tablespoon in the below recipe for an extra crunch.
Gajar Mooli Koshimbir Recipe
Carrot Radish Salad ~ Gajar Mooli Koshimbir
- 2 Carrots grated or 1 ⅔ cup grated Carrots
- 5 medium sized Red Radish grated or 1 cup grated Red Radish
- ½ cup chopped Red Onion
- 3 small Green Chilies seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoon Roasted Peanuts coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 - 2 teaspoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- Lightly peel carrot and radish, and grate. Food processor works best here.
- Finely chop onion.
- Seed green chilies and finely chop, alternatively corsely mince.
- Roast peanuts on stovetop or microwave for 1 ½ - 2 minutes, turning every 30 seconds. Once cool, pulse a few times to get a coarse powder.
- Take all the ingredients except tempering ingredients in a bowl and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If doing a tempering, heat oil in a pan, add cumin, asafetida and turmeric. Pour this over salad and gently mix.
- Serve salad as a side dish for grilled meats or with rice.
- Adjust carrot, radish and onion to one's liking. Equal quantities of all three works great but I personally prefer less onion.
- Tempering is optional and I usually skip this step. Salad still tastes fine.
Like the recipe, Pin It.