Last Updated on
Carrot radish salad is a quick, easy and delicious salad. It is a great side dish to serve with rice, roti or even grilled meats.
Theme of the Week
This week’s theme is meal time dishes and it could be any meal. The first recipe for this theme is carrot radish salad or gajar mooli koshimbir. This is a Maharashtrian salad and accompaniment to a meal.
Gajar Mooli Koshimbir or Carrot Radish Salad
Carrot radish salad is a light, vegan friendly accompaniment to Maharashtrian meal. Koshimbir is a salad and what makes it different from other Indian salads is addition crushed peanuts. In fact this carrot radish salad is lot similar to carrot pachadi we make at home but with no peanuts. And sprouts I used I carrot pachadi was my addition and it is optional.
Koshimbir is usually tempered with some cumin seeds and asafoetida. Due to mere laziness, I skip this step. Sometimes, I substitute tempering with a drizzle of olive oil and most often make it zero oil.
The first time I made this salad was couple of years ago for the Maharashtrian Thali and ever since, it is my go to salad when looking for a light salad or an accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken. This time it was part of a simple meal, served along with thai eggplant curry, rasam and rice.
What goes into Carrot Radish Salad
The main ingredients are carrot, radish, onion and peanuts. All these 4 ingredients can be adjust to one’s taste. Equal quantities of carrot, radish and onion works great but I personally prefer less onion. In the below recipe I used less radish because that is all I had in my fridge when I made it for the blog. If one likes peanuts, add more peanuts and in fact I would not mind up to 4-5 tbsp peanuts in the below recipe.
Carrot Radish Salad ~ Gajar Mooli Koshimbir Recipe
Carrot radish salad is Maharashtrian koshimbir. It is a quick, easy and light salad
- 2 Carrots grated or 1 ⅔ cup grated Carrots
- 5 medium sized Red Radish grated or 1 cup grated Red Radish
- ½ cup chopped Red Onion
- 3 small Green Chilies seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp Roasted Peanuts coarsely crushed
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice or to taste
- ¾ tsp Salt adjust to taste
- ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 - 2 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- Lightly peel carrot and radish, and grate. Food processor works best here.
- Finely chop onion.
- Seed green chilies and finely chop, alternatively corsely mince.
- Roast peanuts on stovetop or microwave for 1 ½ - 2 minutes, turning every 30 seconds. Once cool, pulse a few times to get a coarse powder.
Take all the ingredients except tempering ingredients in a bowl and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If doing a tempering, heat oil in a pan, add cumin, asafetida and turmeric. Pour this over salad and gently mix.
- Serve salad as a side dish for grilled meats or with rice.
- Adjust carrot, radish and onion to one's liking. Equal quantities of all three works great but I personally prefer less onion.
- Tempering is optional and I usually skip this step. Salad still tastes fine.
Like the recipe, Pin It.
This day in:
2013 – Choco Flan
2014 – Salted Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
2016 – Dudhi chi Bhaji ~ Bottle Gourd Curry with Goda Masala
2017 – Baked Handvo ~ Savory Rice Lentils Cake