Vankaya Masala koora is a dry Indian eggplant curry. It is a delicious side dish for rice and Indian flatbread. Sautéed eggplant is jazzed up with peanuts and sesame seeds powder.
Easy Dinner Dishes
Rice and flat breads are staple in Indian cuisine and are served with side dishes. Quick and easy side dishes are a boon for any day and specially on busy weekdays. One of the popular side dishes from Indian cuisines are curries. Some curries are dry and some curries are wet with lot of gravy.
Theme for this week is easy dinner dishes. Today it is vankaya masala koora, which is a dry curry and a quick side dish. The other recipe for this theme is cranberry dal. Though I served vankaya masala koora with rice, it goes well with Indian flat breads such as roti and paratha.
What is Vankaya Masala
Vankaya Masala koora is a dry, vegan eggplant curry. Eggplant is sautéed with basic Indian spices and jazzed up with peanut and sesame seed powder. With all the prep work done, cook time is less than 15 minutes and less than 30 minutes with prep work.
Which Variety of Eggplants to use?
Any Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Thai eggplants are great for this dry curry. For today’s post it is small Thai green eggplants. Depending on the variety, cook time might vary slightly.
Vankaya Masala Koora Recipe
Vankaya Masala Koora
- ¼ Kg Thai Eggplants
- 4 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- 4 Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chilies, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped Onions
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Salt, adjust to taste
- ¾ tsp Chili Powder, adjust to taste
- ¾ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Roasted Peanuts, powder
- ½ tbsp Roasted Sesame Seeds, powder
- Wash eggplants, cut the stalk. Cut eggplant lengthwise into 4-6 pieces depending on the size and put them in a bowl of salted water until ready to use. This avoids discoloration of eggplants.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chilies.
- When chilies change color, add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell of ginger is gone.
- Season with salt, chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric. Mix well.
- Remove Eggplant pieces from water and add to pan. Stir until spices coat eggplant.
- Reduce the flame to medium high, cover and cook for 1 or 2 minutes until eggplant changes color and is slightly soft. Do not cover for too long and do not over cook.
- Remove cover and stir fry until eggplant is cooked but firm.
- Sprinkle peanut powder and sesame seeds powder, mix well and cook for few minutes until the curry is done.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with rice or Indian flatbread.
- A variation to this dry eggplant curry is skipping the masala; peanut and sesame seeds powder.
- Use small purple brinjals (Indian eggplants) or the long variety. I personally prefer the Thai eggplants as my Indian store doesn’t carry the Indian green brinjals.
Like the recipe, Pin It.
This day in:
2017 – Berber Spiced Vegetable Soup with Spicy Cheese Sandwich
2018 – Instant Pot OPOS Sakkarai Pongal