Currywurst is German street food and also one of the national dishes. It is grilled pork sausage served with curry flavored tomato ketchup or tomato sauce.
jump to recipe or pin it for later.
The key component of currywurst is currywurst sauce. There are many versions of this sauce online and star ingredient in all the recipes is curry powder. Some versions use canned tomatoes to make the sauce from scratch and some quicker versions use tomato ketchup. My version is the latter.
The recipe below for currywurst is mild to my palate and one can adjust the spice level to taste. Second, curry powder is sprinkled on currywurst. Hence I kept the currywurst sauce mild. Sprinkle generous amount of curry powder on currywurst, unlike in my images.
Bratwurst, a type of German pork or pork beef sausage is used for currywurst. However, kielbasa or franks also work well. I used chicken franks today and yesterday made it with kielbasa.
Cooking Time: 12 - 15 minutes
Currywurst Sauce (would not need all of it)
- ¾ - 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 - 1 ½ tablespoon chopped Onion
- ⅛ teaspoon Smoked Paprika (I used paprika)
- 1 - 1 ½ teaspoon Curry Powder (I used Hot Madras Curry Powder)
- ½ cup Tomato Ketchup
- ¼ cup Water
- 3 Chicken Franks or Kielbasa or Bratwurst
- 2 - 3 tablespoon Currywurst Sauce or as needed
- Curry Powder when serving
- Fries for side
- Sauce - Heat oil in a pan or a saucepan.
- When oil is hot, add onions and saute until soft.
- Add curry powder, paprika and fry for few seconds to bring out the flavors.
- Add ketchup, water and mix well.
- Bring the sauce to boil, reduce to medium low flame and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- There is going to be some leftover sauce. Refrigerate leftover sauce an airtight jar or a container.
- Cook Sausage - Follow the instructions on the package to cook sausage. Sausage is already precooked. On stove take some water and cook franks for 4-5 minutes until franks are hot. Sausage is ready to use.
- For browner and grilled kind of franks, remove water from the pan and continue to fry the franks for few for minutes turning around until brown on all side.
- Cut franks to small pieces or make slight cuts on the franks.
- Pour currywurst sauce on franks, sprinkle liberally with curry powder.
- Serve it with/without French Fries.
- Sprinkle lots of curry powder when serving. After taking pictures, I added more curry powder for some heat.
- Currywurst sauce was mild and add more curry powder or paprika in the sauce. However, i prefer this way as one can always adjust the heat by generously sprinkling curry powder on the wrust.
- This may not be currywurst sauce but next time would susbstitute curry powder with some cumin powder, corainder powder, chili powder and garam masala.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) says
there is a food stall now in Chelsea Market that is a German stall that specializes in this dish. I have been tempted to try it but haven't done so yet. You now make me want to try it there
When I did a research on the dish, the German stall you mentioned also came up. I wanted to try to and also grilled cheese sandwich from Milk truck.
Priya Suresh says
Currywurst sauce sounds fantastic and those sausages with french fries tempts me a lot, ultimate street food Usha.
Priya Kumar says
looks great, surely non vegetarial would love it.
Srivalli Jetti says
Lovely clicks Usha, and only yesterday I read about wurst and here you are with a version of it..
Harini-Jaya R says
I sure didn't come across this name when I was searching for street food. Good find for meat lovers.
The dish and the sauce both are new to me . Excellent clicks as usual .
This is new to me. Thanks to BM, discovered a new dish with sausages. You should try it with veg sausage, if you can get hold of it.