Last Updated on
For the last post in the series of savory bakes I had something else on mind. I was not happy the way it turned out and did not have time to bake another one. Luckily I baked these ham & cheese muffins earlier this week for week four and threw in some chilies to spice the muffins. I am glad I did so as it has come to my rescue today.
Ham and cheese that went into the muffins was good enough to tempt Mr.U to taste these. I baked these in the evening and liked the way these came out. I was not sure if U would like the muffins. This recipe yielded 18 mini muffins and I ate 3-4 before U came home. That day I baked 3 bakes and this was the first of the three bakes. While I was busy preparing for the other two bakes, U almost finished off the muffins. I took the pictures with what was left, 5 muffins. Enjoy these savory muffins and see you all on Monday with another theme.
As I mentioned, I baked 3 recipes that day. I was tired and my mind was blank as to how to style the photo. I was also racing against the fast setting sun. I took quick pictures with simple styling. As for the muffins, these tasted great and especially when warm. I followed Trish’s recipe and she says these freeze well, though I have not tried freezing. I used my mini muffin pan and if using regular pan, this recipe should yield about 6 muffins.
Source: Mom on Timeout
Total Time: 25 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- ½ cup diced Ham (I used store bought diced ham)
- ¼ cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. Green Onions, chopped (can use chives)
- 2 small Green Chilies, chopped (my addition)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grease mini muffin pan with cooking spray or oil. Or use muffin liners. I greased the pan.
- Combine all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt in a bowl and keep aside.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, egg and coconut oil in a small bowl. One can use a whisk but lazy I used an electric beater.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat just until flour is incorporated. Do not over beat. Or just stir until all the ingredients are just combined.
- Fold in ham, cheese, green onion and chilies.
- Pour the batter into muffin pan, about ½ tbsp. per muffin pan cavity.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes or until lightly golden in color.
- Let cool for few minutes and gently twist to remove.
- Serve hot or warm for breakfast, evening snack or pack it so school as in a lunch box. I have not tried it but these muffins freeze well.
This day in 2014: Kashmiri Rogan Josh