Last month I missed Indian Cooking Challenge and the challenge was to prepare my favorite street food, Pani puri! I was super busy and could not be part of last month’s challenge. Despite a busy schedule, I made it a point to make some time for this month’s savory recipe; Kara Sev. I thought of drafting the post and schedule it to be posted yesterday, the 15th. I could not do so before I took off to west coast last week. I still could have drafted it and posted it yesterday, but forgot to upload the picture from my laptop, before I left. Just got back an hour ago and here I am composing and publishing this post.
Valli challenged us to prepare Kara Sev and the recipe is her mom’s. She gave two recipes and I followed the first recipe. I followed the recipe as give but for the black pepper. I substituted it with chili powder instead. I used my muruku press to press the sev as I don’t have the sev ladle. I copied and pasted Valli’s recipe below and striked out the parts of the recipe that I did not follow and italicized what I did instead. Thanks Valli for sharing your mom’s recipe!
- Gram Flour (Besan)- 2 1/2 cups
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Black pepper coarsely powderedchili powder- 1 tsp
- Ghee Oil – 2 1/2 tsp
- Cooking soda pinch (optional) I did not use it
- Salt to taste.
- Crushed garlic (optional) 2 pods
- Oil to deep fry.
- Sieve both Gram flour and Rice flour together in a bowl and make a pit.
- Add chilli powder, Pepper powder, Salt, Crushed garlic, Ghee, Cooking soda.
- Mix thoroughly with hands. It should look like bread crumbs. Divide the dough into 4 portions.
- Take One portion of this mixture, sprinkle water, knead like Puri dough. Sprinkle required amount of water and knead like puri dough. Make 6 small portions of dough and therefore sev is done in six batches.
- Heat oil in a kadai, Use a ladle with lot of holes (Kara Sevai ladle) or Sev maker. Put some dough on that and rub directly into oil.
- It will be like split string. Deep fry in oil , drain excess oil.
- After cooling this off, Store this in an airtight container.