I am late posting this month's sweet punch. For the month of July, sweet punch went back to the basics to bake a simple pound cake. The recipe is from The Cake Bible. According to Rosie, this cake is tight and comes out like the Sara Lee pound cake. I totally agree with her. The cake out perfect and the procedure is very simple and easy as well.
Total Time: 65 - 70 minutes
Preparation: 10 - 15 minutes
Bake Time: 55 - 65 minutes
Yields: 1 Loaf
- 3 large Eggs at room temperature
- 13 Tbsp. / 184 gms. Unsalted Butter softened (I brought it to room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups sifted Cake Flour
- ¾ tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Milk
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
- Bring eggs and butter to room temperature. I left them on the counter top for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Butter an 8" x 4" x 2.5" loaf pan, or any six cup loaf or fluted tube pan.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. I did not have cake flour on hand and made it myself. I took 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour in a bowl, removed 3 tablespoon of flour out of it. Replace the flour with 3 tablespoon of corn startch. Sifted the flour couple of times to mix the flour and hte corn startch.
- Lightly whisk together milk, vanilla extract and eggs.
- In a big bowl take the dry ingredients and mix it using an hand mixer for 30 seconds so that the ingredients mix well.
- Add the butter, half the egg mixture and continue to mix it until all dry ingredients become moist. Increase the speed to medium and beat for one more minute. My hand mixer has fold, mix, beat and whip options. I used the beat option here. This will aerate and give a nice structure to the batter.
- Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 batches, beating for 20-30 seconds after each addition. Scape down the batter.
- Pour the batter into the buttered pan, smooth the surface and bake for 55-65 minutes in a pre-heated oven. I baked my loaf for 55 minutes or bake it until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean. It is important that you insert the tooth pick in the middle to check if the cake is baked.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes and flip it over. If you used a loaf pan as I did, carefully flip it over so that top is up.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing it.
Note: (Copy pasting it from the sweet punch blog)
- For making Cake flour at home - Take one cup of all purpose flour and remove 2 tablespoon from it.Replace the 2 tablespoon flour with cornflour and sift together 2-3 times.Cake flour is ready to use.
hey i tried this and it came very nicely
thanks for the recipe 🙂
Can u tell me the difference between corn starch and corn flour? Are they the same? As, in the recipe u told to use corn starch while u asked to use corn flour in the making of the cake flour?????
I usually use all purpose flour for baking the cake...
Please answer this !!!!
In India corn starch is called corn flour. The organizer of that month's sweet punch is based in India and as I mentioned in the post, I copied "making cake flour at home" from that blog. Corn flour we get in American stores is yellow in color and is not the same as corn flour in India.
first time here..amazing blog you have..
wonderful recipe collection..
Am your new subscriber now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Awesome pound cake 😀 I love em 🙂
Radhika @ foodfor7stages says
We love this cake. Isn't so moist and yumm.
Pound cake looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Ummm cake looks so delicious
Cake looks really yummy 🙂
the pound cake looks perfect...must be the best thing to have with a warm cup of tea or coffee...:)
the cakes baked in loaf pans all look so similar 🙂
Pound cake looks amazing. Yummy click.
Vidhya Jayadeep says
Pound cake looks so perfect and yum.