Today's, bake is a vegan quinoa cookies prepared with flax egg and coconut oil. I used regular chocolate chips and can be made vegan replacing it with vegan chocolate. These cookies have a very soft texture and crumble very fast. This is the first time I used Quinoa flour and loved the nutty flavor.
Source: My Darling Vegan who adapted from here
Total Time: 20 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup Quinoa Flour
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil, melted (I microwaved it for 20 – 30 seconds)
- ½ cup Brown Sugar, packed (I used dark brown sugar)
- 1 Flax Egg (1tbsp. flax meal + 3 tbsp. water beaten)
- 2 tbsp. Peanut Butter
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips (I used semi sweet)
- ¼ cup dry roasted Peanuts
- Sea Salt to sprinkle on top of the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine quinoa flour baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together sugar, flax egg and coconut oil.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Gently fold flour into wet ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips and peanuts.
- Scoop cookies onto baking sheet, about 2 tbsp. per cookie, flatten slightly and sprinkle sea salt on each cookie.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated oven until slightly brown on the edges. Cookies will feel slightly underdone but will continue to cook and harden as they cool.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely and store in an air tight container.
- Use store bought quinoa flour as it is superfine.
- To make flax egg, combine 1 tbsp. of ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp. of water. Whisk together until it becomes gelatinous.
This day in 2013: Choco Flan
Events: This goes to Bake Fest #38, an even initiated by Vardhini. This is also my today's post for Bake-a-thon 2014
Chef Mireille says
what a great use of quinoa!!!
I haven't tried baking with quinoa flour yet. Your chocolate chip cookies look so delicious -- my kids would love these.
Priya Srinivasan says
Very healthy bake usha, those peeping choco chips are so cute!!
love the cookies..i dont like quinoa but looks crunchy
Usha the cookie has turned out so good..will surely bookmark this!
Mindblowing cookies, its been a while i baked cookies with quinoa, those chocolate chips are just tempting me.
Love the chunky chocolate chips peeping out of the cookies though I am not a fan of quinoa. Nice pictures.