Sheera is a sweet prepared with broken whole wheat (godhuma rava). This is a must preparation during Satyanarayana vratham and is prepared as one of the prasadams (offering to god).
It is traditionally prepared with cream of whole wheat (wheat rava) but i made it with sooji as I did not have wheat rava on hand. This was the sweet I made for my Telangana meal. I wanted to redo the sheera for better pictures but that did not happen. I will try to replace the picture very soon.
- 2-3 tablespoon Ghee or Unsalted Butter I used 3 tablespoon of butter
- 8 Whole Cashews broken into 4 – 6 pieces
- 10 Raisins
- ½ cup Coarse Sooji
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ cup Milk can use water
- ⅓ – ½ cup Sugar adjust to taste
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon Cardamom Seeds crushed
- Heat 2 tablespoon of butter in a 1 - 1 ½ quart (liter) saucepan.
- Fry cashews and raisins until cashews turn light brown and raisins puff up. Remove from butter and keep aside. Alternatively, roast cashews and raisins separately.
- Add sooji to the same pan and fry sooji until it is lightly roasted and begins to change color.
- Reduce the flame and add water+milk to sooji stirring it constantly. It is vital to stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Increase the heat, stir, cover and cook on medium high heat for few minutes until sooji is almost cooked and liquid evaporates.
- Once the sooji is cooked or almost cooked, add sugar, remaining butter and stir constantly.
- Add cardamom powder. Add cashews and raisins keeping aside some for garnish and continue stirring.
- Once the melted sugar evaporates and sheera starts coming off the sides of the pan, sheera is done.
- Turn off the stove, serve hot or warm. Garnish with cashews and raisins.