Last Updated on
Rice can be cooked in many varieties such as Biryani, vegetable pulav, green peas rice, green chana rice, spinach rice and so on. I cook all the above mentioned rice very often in my kitchen, except spinach rice. Any variety of rice served with raita is a feast to me. When I saw the Mixed Rice Varieties Event, spinach rice came to my mind. All the other varieties are very common to me and this would be a good excuse to try out my mom’s recipe and a perfect entry to the event.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1/8 cup Oil
- 4 Cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- ½ tsp Sahajeera
- Bay Leaf
- Bay Flower
- ¼ “ Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Methi Powder
- 10 Mint Leaves chopped
- 1 small Onion sliced
- 6 Green Chillies slit into 2
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 6 oz or 4 cups of chopped Spinach
- pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 1 medium sized Tomato chopped
- Salt to Taste
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice soaked in water for ½ hour
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add cardamoms, cloves, sahajeera, cinnamon, bay leaf, biryani flower, mint leaves and methi powder. Fry until mint leaves change color. Then add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add green chillies, ginger garlic paste fry for a minute.
- Add chopped spinach and cook for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and cook until soft and water if any evaporates.
- Add a turmeric powder and rice and fry for a minute.
- Add 3 cups of water (rice to water ratio of 1 : 1 ½ ) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until rice is done.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with raita or any gravy of your choice.
- If you wish to use an electric cooker, after frying rice, transfer it to the rice cooker container, pour 3 cups of water, add cilantro and turn the cooker on.
Spinach Rice goes to Mixed Rice Varieties Event