I never baked with whole wheat flour and whenever I came across a bake with wheat flour, always wondered how it tastes. I was meaning to bake something with it and this month’s sweet punch bake was a perfect recipe. This month, Ria chose whole wheat eggless almond cookies from Manjula’s Kitchen. I followed the recipe exactly as given with less sugar. The first time I baked it, I baked it for 17 minutes and bottom of the cookies got a little burnt. The taste was pretty good. I finished all the cookies all by myself! I thought of posting the same pictures but could not get myself to do it. So I baked them again today for 14 minutes 40 seconds and they turned out perfect.
Source: Manjula’s Kitchen
Total Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (I used Atta)
½ cup sugar1/3 cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ – 1/3 cup Sliced Almonds (I used 1/3 cup)
- ½ tsp. Green Cardamom Seed coarsely powder (ilaichi)
- ½ cup or 8 tbsp. or 4 oz. Unsalted Butter brought to room temperature (I left it on the counter top for an hour to bring it room temperature. I also microwaved it for 15 seconds)
- About 2 tbsp of Milk or as needed (I needed only 1 tbsp. milk)
- Preheat the over to 360F
- In a bowl mix together flour, salt, sugar, cardamon powder and sliced almonds.
- Add the butter to the flour and mix it all together to make a dough. Also add milk to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into small round balls, just like peda. I got 21 balls.
- Place them on an ungreased baking sheet and flatten them a little.
- Bake them in a preheated oven for for less than 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Do remember that cookies continue to bake even after removing them from the oven.
- Let them cool for 3-5 minutes on the sheet itself, than transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container.
This day that year: Beetroot Raita in 2011