Sauteed Green Beans with Kolhapuri Masala
For the next three days, I shall share 3 ingredients recipes. One tps or less of oil, sugar, pepper and chili powder, tempering ingredients and salt are all considered as one ingredient.
Keeping this in mind, I made a quick and tasty saute with tender beans that needed to be used up very soon. I had some Kolhapuri masala which is quite flavorful and used it as the main seasoning ingredient for the beans.
Last year when I met fellow bloggers in Chennai, Pradnya gave us some Maharastrian spices. I still have some of those spices and Kolhapuri masala is one of them. Of all the remaining spices that Pradnya gave, I found this masala spicy and felt it would be a better spice to use for this 3 ingredient dish. Kolhapuri masala can also be substituted with sambar powder or any curry powder that is spicy and flavorful. During the same bloggers meet, Gayathri gave us some sambar powder and I used all of it for such sautes. If not for three ingredients theme, I would have added some onion, curry leaves, crushed garlic and green chilies to the saute. I used Gayathri’s powder in ivy gourd fry, zucchini fry and ridge gourd fry.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3
- 300 grams tender Green Beans, cut into ¼” pieces
- 1 tsp. Oil + ⅓ tsp. Salt + ½ tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 – 3 tsp. Kolhapuri Masala (I used 3 tsps)
- Wash and cut beans into ¼” pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add green beans, salt and mix.
- Cover and cook until beans is almost cooked, about 6 – 8 minutes on low flame. Stir a few times for even cooking.
- Uncover, add kolhapuri masala, chili powder and continue cooking until beans is cooked and fried, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Serve with rice or roti.
- I used 3 tsp of masala and would recommend using less masala and add more chili powder. Spices in the Kolhapuri masala is a bit overpowering if used in large quantities in a vegetable stir fry. Adjust the masala to taste. Next time I would use 1 tsp chili powder and less Kolhapuri masala.
- I did not use onion, garlic, green chilies and curry leaves as I wanted to stick to 3 ingredients.You can use all these ingredients or few of these for additional flavor, though the stir fried tasted just fine even without these.