Beerakaya in Telugu, turai in Hindi, ridge gourd or Chinese okra in English belongs to cucumber family. Beerakaya is harvested when very tender and ripe beerakaya is very fibrous. It is used as a scrubbing sponge. Tender beerakaya cooks very fast and shrink in quantity after cooking.
The most common beerakaya preparation in my home and among my relatives is beerakaya alasandakaya (fresh black eyed pea). I already posted beerakaya kandikaya koora and so made this simple beerakaya koora.
I made beerakaya koora as part of my Telangana meal.
Total Time: 25 - 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Serves: 2 - 3
- 1 ¾ - 2 tbsp. Oil
- 3 - 4 Curry Leaves
- ½ small Onion, chopped
- 3 Green Chilies, cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp. crushed Garlic
- ½ tsp. chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 700 grams or 3 medium sized Beerakaya ~ Ridge Gourd, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tbsp. Milk
- Cilantro ~ Kothmir to garnish
- Peel beerakaya and cut into 1” pieces. I cut the gourd into 2 or 4 pieces lengthwise depending on how wide it is. Then cut it into 1” wide slices.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan, add curry leaves, onions and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add green chilies, garlic and sauté until garlic is lightly roasted.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, salt and mix well. Add beerakaya and mix well. Cover and cook for few minutes, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Reduce the flame, add milk and stir immediately. It Is important to stir immediately or the milk could curdle.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 - 5 minutes until beerakaya is almost cooked and tender. Do not over cook beerakaya.
- Remove cover and cook until liquids evaporate, stirring in between. Reduce the flame if the koora is burning.
- Once liquid evaporates, continue frying for few more minutes until the koora is done. Taste and adjust seasoning. I did not fry for too long but my mother would have fried it a little longer.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or roti.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56