I like cucumbers a lot and always add them to salads or to raitas. Sometimes I eat cucumbers as my evening snack. When I saw this spicy cucumber salad, without even a second thought added it to my list of Korean side dishes I was going to make for Korean meal for this month's "Around the World in 30 Days with ABC Cooking". I made it spicy and served it as a side dish along with my bibimbap. If one wants to add it to bibimbap, then make it less spicy. I did not have Korean chili powder on hand and used the Indian red chili powder that I use for my everyday cooking. This recipe is so flexible that one can adjust the ingredients as per individuals taste.
Source: Omma's Kitchen Video
Preparation: 40 minutes (30 minutes is to dehydrate the cucumbers)
- 3 Mini Seedless Cucumbers or Kirby Cucumber (I used mini cucumbers)
- ½ - ¾ tsp. Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Sugar (I left it out)
- ¾ tsp. Korean Chili Powder (I used about ½ tsp. regular chili powder and check note below)
- ¾ tsp. Sesame Oil
- ¾ tsp. Sesame Seeds toasted
- ¼ tsp. Mirin (I used Brown Rice Vinegar)
- ¼ - ½ tsp. minced Garlic
- 1 – 2 tbsp. chopped Green Onions or Scallions
- Slice the cucumbers, apply salt and keep aside for 20 – 30 minutes. This released water from the cucumber and makes the slices crunchy. To know if the cucumbers are dehydrates, take a slice and bend it. The slice should easily bend. If the slice is still hydrated, it won’t bend easily and will not be flexible.
- Wash the slice in water. If the cucumber is salty, let it soak in water for few minutes and then rinse.
- Squeeze out water from the cucumber slices and put it in a bowl.
- Add rest of the salad ingredients and toss. Refrigerate until ready serve.
- Since this is a spicy cucumber salad, it is best served as a side dish with Korean barbeque and bibimbap. If going to add it to bibimbap, make it a less spicy.
- I didn't have Korean Chili Powder on hand and used the chili powder instead. My chili powder is spicy hot and used only ½ tsp. Even that was a bit spicy but I liked it. Adjust chili powder to taste.
- Make the salad less spicy if going to added it to bibimbap