Cucumber raitha is a mildly seasoned cucumber salad in yogurt dressing. A side dish for biryani, pulao and flavored rice.
Raitha ~ Raita
Today I have a very simple and easy raitha/raita from India. I never thought raitha would fall under condiments category but wiki says it is a condiment. So here I am with one of my favorite condiments I make to go with biryani and vegetable bagara. Raitha can be prepared with many vegetables but this is usually my go to recipe. My other raitha recipes are here.
Vegetables I usually use are cucumber, red onion and carrots. Occasionally I do add tomatoes but not always. I made this raitha for my Telugu meal and since I added carrot to vegetable bagara, I added very little, about 1 – 2 tsp grated carrot. I was going to added one full carrot but when I realized I already have carrots in bagara, I left it out.
Cucumber Raitha Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 small mini seedless Cucumber
- ¼ small Onion
- ¼ small Tomato
- 1 small Carrot opt. I used only 1 – 2 tsp. grated carrot
- 1 – 1 ½ Green Chilies adjust to taste
- 1 ¼ cup Yogurt I used ¾ cup Greek Yogurt & ½ cup homemade yogurt
- ½ – 1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Peel cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 wedges that is plus cut all the way down and then slice it. Each piece should be a quarter of a slice.
- Slice onion and cut tomato into ¼” cubes.
- De-seed green chilies and finely chop.
- Mix all the vegetables with some salt.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- I usually use ½ store bought yogurt and ½ homemade yogurt. This time I used ¾ greek yogurt and ½ cup homemade yogurt.
- When I have guests over, I add some sour cream. I add 1-2 tablespoons to ¼ cup of sour cream. How much sour cream goes in is totally subjective to one’s taste.