Cucumber raitha is a mildly seasoned cucumber salad in yogurt dressing. A side dish for biryani, pulao and flavored rice.
Raitha ~ Raita
Today I have a very simple and easy raitha/raita from India. I never thought raitha would fall under condiments category but wiki says it is a condiment. So here I am with one of my favorite condiments I make to go with biryani and vegetable bagara. Raitha can be prepared with many vegetables but this is usually my go to recipe. My other raitha recipes are here.
Vegetables I usually use are cucumber, red onion and carrots. Occasionally I do add tomatoes but not always. I made this raitha for my Telugu meal and since I added carrot to vegetable bagara, I added very little, about 1 - 2 teaspoon grated carrot. I was going to added one full carrot but when I realized I already have carrots in bagara, I left it out.
Cucumber Raitha Recipe
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 small mini seedless Cucumber
- ¼ small Onion
- ¼ small Tomato
- 1 small Carrot opt. I used only 1 – 2 tsp. grated carrot
- 1 – 1 ½ Green Chilies adjust to taste
- 1 ¼ cup Yogurt I used ¾ cup Greek Yogurt & ½ cup homemade yogurt
- ½ - 1 teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Peel cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 wedges that is plus cut all the way down and then slice it. Each piece should be a quarter of a slice.
- Slice onion and cut tomato into ¼” cubes.
- De-seed green chilies and finely chop.
- Mix all the vegetables with some salt.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- I usually use ½ store bought yogurt and ½ homemade yogurt. This time I used ¾ greek yogurt and ½ cup homemade yogurt.
- When I have guests over, I add some sour cream. I add 1-2 tablespoons to ¼ cup of sour cream. How much sour cream goes in is totally subjective to one’s taste.
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille) says
classic raita is a good staple to have with Indian food - yours is styled so pretty
Priya Srinivasan says
This is a must during our weekend meals!!! Love it !!!
Suma Gandlur says
This is like a must to go with biryanis / pulaos. right?
I usually make onion raita, so this mixed vegetable raita sounds like a great variation. Will definitely try it out some time.
A must have for pulao at our place. Such beautiful presentation !
Sneha datar says
A comforting pachadi.
dunno what I will do without this recipe. great
Wow..Lovely picture.Just want to grab from the pic..Too good..
Needless to say this is my favorite too..goes so well with pulao!
My all time favourite raitha, never fail to make them especially for sunday lunch.
This is my all time fav raita.Looks yummy.
Always my choice with a biriyani is raita very refreshing one...
Vaishali Sabnani says
This is one of the most delicious raita as one can serve..beautiful and colorful.
Raitha looks very refreshing..