Eggless quinoa Nutella cookies are soft, dense and healthy cookies. Healthy snack for anytime of the day.
Eggless quinoa Nutella cookies are prepared with quinoa flour and wheat flour. Quinoa cookies are unique from regular cookies both in taste and shape. Quinoa lends a nutty and an earthy flavor to the cookies, which is an acquired taste and the cookies look mini cakes. Regardless of the shape, cookies are surely addictive once you acquire the earthly nutty flavor of quinoa.
Few weeks Mireille shared Nutella quinoa cookies with our blogging group and we all loved them. I had some leftover quinoa flour after baking salted chocolate chip quinoa cookies which was nearing the sell by date. To use up the flour, baked these cookies when one of my nephews was in town, who also loved the cookies.
How to prepare Quinoa Cookies?
Preparation of cookies is as easy as any other cookies.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Beat together brown sugar and butter, then add wet ingredients; Nutella, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Shape the cookies and bake.
Where can I get Quinoa Flour?
Quinoa flour is available in any supermarket and if your local store does not carry the flour, check any big supermarket or a healthy store. If you can’t source it, just make it at home.
How to make Quinoa Flour?
Yes, you can make quinoa flour at home. I usually buy the flour and it is expensive! A good alternative is making it at home, though I have not made it at home. Lightly toast quinoa, cool and grind to a fine powder. Sieve the flour and store in an airtight container. I used leftover quinoa flour for today’s Quinoa Nutella cookies.
Eggless Nutella Quinoa Cookies Recipe
Eggless Nutella Quinoa Cookies
- 2 mixing bowls
- Handheld electric mixer
- Large cookie sheet
- ¼ cup or ½ stick Butter softened or microwave for 20 seconds
- 97.5 grams or ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour (I used atta/chapati flour)
- 94.5 grams or ¾ cup Quinoa Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 75 grams or ⅜ cups firmly packed Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Nutella
- ⅓ cup Apple Sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Take another large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add Nutella, applesauce and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add flour mixture and beat until the flour is just incorporated.
- Using a table spoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop out dough and place it on the cookie sheet. If using an ice-cream scoop, take about ½ a scoop per cookie. Check notes.
- Dampen fingers and lightly shape and flatten the cookies.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cookies are set. I baked for 15 minutes.
- Cool the cookies completely on the cookie sheet and store in an airtight container.
- Size of the cookies – The cookies in the picture are slightly bigger than the actually size of cookies. For the first 4 cookies I used ¾ of a scoop and for the rest I used ½ a scoop. Smaller cookies looked more appetizing than the bigger ones. I would say ½ a scoop would yield 16 cookies and using ¾ of scoop per cookie would yield about 10 cookies.
- Temperatures – Temperature of ovens vary from oven to oven. Check cookies after 10 minutes and continue to bake if needed.