Lemony Arugula White Beans Salad
For the last day of cooking with lemons, I had planned a sweet treat. I was debating between lemon curd, lemon glazed cookies and lemon tarts. Last Thursday I was flipping channels and saw Giada’s show on food network. She made this refreshing lemony white bean arugula salad and I was sold on it’s simplicity. I was going to make this salad but wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it for this theme. Since weekend we have been eating too many rich desserts and that sealed the deal for this salad recipe for day 3 of lemons.
We changed the clock this past weekend moving back an hour from day light saving time and that means shorter days 🙁 I was going to make the salad on Monday and before I realized it became dark and had to put it off till yesterday. I was going to make it for lunch but husband called in a sick leave as he was down with flu. I made a hot meal for him and was lazy to make the salad for myself. I also did not want to put it off till today to prepare and click the pictures. I made it yesterday evening around 4 pm and took some quick pictures before the sunset. I still have not gotten used to this new timings yet and I really need to plan my dinners early if I want to click some decent pictures while there is still some decent enough natural light for clicking pictures.
Coming to the salad, I was a little hesitant to try the recipe as I was unsure if I would like arugula in a salad, though I loved it in panini. That was another reason I made it yesterday itself, in case I did not like the salad, it would give me enough time to pick another recipe and cook it today. Fortunately the recipe worked! I followed the recipe as given except for substituting maple syrup with honey. I forgot to mention, after clicking some pictures, I sat down to eat some salad and before I knew, I finished off the bowl! I made half of the original recipe and the recipe listed below is also half the original recipe.
Source: Food Network
Preparation: 10 minutes
Serves: 1 – 2 depending on how it is served
- 2.5 oz. (2 – 2 ½ cups packed) Arugula
- ½ can of White Beans, rinsed and drained (Cannellini or Northern beans can be used and 1 can is 15 ounces)
- 1 tbsp. sliced Red Onion, about ¼ small Onion
- 1 ½ tbsp. Capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice, about ½ Lemon (adjust to taste, the dressing is lemony)
- ½ tsp. Lemon Zest, zest of ½ lemon
- ½ tbsp. Maple Syrup (I used honey)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/8 tsp. Black Pepper Powder (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- Wash and drain arugula. I used pre-washed arugula. Rinse and drain beans and capers. (Make sure beans and capers are completely drained. I thought I drained the beans properly and the minute I added it the bowl of arugula, my arugula become soft and wilted soaking in water that was left in the beans. )
- Take arugula, beans, capers and sliced red onions in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl take lemon juice, honey or maple syrup, lemon zest, salt and pepper, and mix.
- Whisk in extra virgin olive oil to the lemon mixture until smooth and blended in.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Serve it as a side dish or as a main course.
- The dressing is lemony in taste and I had some leftover dressing after pouring some over the salad. Though it was lemony, I liked the flavor with arugula.
- Drain arugula (if washing; I used prewashed), beans and capers completely before mixing the salad. There was some water in my beans and the moment I added beans to the bowl of arugula, arugula was not as crisp as it was before adding beans.
Blogging Marathon: Checkout what my fellow bloggers are doing this week on blogging marathon page.