Ria gave us three options for this month's sweet punch and I chose meringue cake from Joy Of Baking. I baked the cake for the new year's eve, though we did not wait until midnight to cut the cake. This cake was a perfect dessert after a spicy meal; Chicken Biryani and Goat Biryani served with badami chicken and raita.
This cake consists of two meringue cakes sandwiched with whipped cream and berries. Fresh whipped cream and strawberries are the best filling for the cake. When pressed for time or for a short cut, that day, use cool whip and mixed berries. The berries I chose were strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. I took this picture the next day.
Source: Joy of Baking
- 4 Egg Yolks large at room temperature
- 1 cup or 100 grams Cake Flour sifted notes at the end of the post
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup or 1 stick or 114 grams Unsalted Butter bring it to room temperature
- ½ cup or 100 grams Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup or 60 ml Milk
- 4 large Egg Whites
- ¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ⅓ cup or 65 grams Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup or 240 ml Heavy Whipping Cream or 1 tub Non Fat Cool Whip
- 1 - 2 tablespoon or 14 - 28 grams Granulated Sugar won't need this sugar if using cool whip
- 1 pound 454 grams Fresh Strawberries, cut into bite sized pieces or 1 - ½ cups cut Strawberries + Black Berries + Blueberries
- Confectioners Sugar for dusting top of cake I forgot to dust mine
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 177 C.
- Grease two 8 x 1 ½” round cake pans.
- Take two bowls, one big and one small bowl. Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a small bowl and the whites in a big bowl. We can whip the egg whites in the same bowl, if bowl is big enough. Keep the yolks and whites aside to bring them to room temperature. I left them on the counter top for 1 hour.
- Sift the dry ingredients together (except sugar); salt, baking powder and flour and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until soft, for about 2 minutes. I would recommend bringing it to room temperature, although it is not required. I used my electric hand mixer.
- Add sugar and beat for another 2 – 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add Vanilla extract and beat well.
- Reduce the speed to mix or to low speed and add some flour in three additions, alternating with milk. Start with flour and end with flour, 3 additions of flour and two additions of milk.
- Divide the batter evenly into two pans and smooth off the tops of the batter in the pans.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, about a minute or two.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and continue to beat until stiff, firm peaks are formed.
- Add in Vanilla extract and beat well.
- Divide the meringue equally into the two pans and gently smooth off the tops.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. I baked for 25 minutes until meringue layer is light golden brown and a tooth pick inserted came out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on a cooling rack. Don’t remove the cakes from the pan until they are completely cooled
- Just before serving, mix cool whip with the berries. I used little less than ¾ tub of cool whip, but would recommend using the whole tub instead. If using cream, whip the cream with sugar until soft peaks are formed. Mix it with cut berries. I used strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. You can use berries of your choice.
- In a serving platter, place the cake with meringue side up. Spread the cream mixture on it. Top it off with the second meringue cake, meringue side up.
- Dust the cake, that is the second cake on the top layer with confectioner sugar or icing powder or powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Also, refrigerate the left over cake immediately.
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
Divya Vikram says
Meringue cake sounds like a perfect dessert!
Delicious looking bake!!
Sushma Mallya says
It look so yummy, different & nice....worth trying one...
Gayathri Kumar says
Cake looks so yummy..
looks so gorgeous..yumm
ummmm cake looks so good,..
looks yummy sandwiched like that! 🙂
Great looking cake, feel like having a slice, even i baked the same..
Thanks for stopping by my blog.Your cake looks so soft and yummy.My meringue mushrooms were cute but was a bit too sweet for an adults taste,though it was gobbled up in no time by kids.Seeing your cake I am not sure if I did the right decision by making the mushrooms.:)