Flax Seed Whole Wheat Blueberry Mini Muffins
For the third day of cakes and muffins, I have a healthy blueberry muffin. This is the last muffin for this week. For the rest of the week I have cakes. If you want to know what all posted so far for this month long baking marathon, check here.
These muffins are butter less, made with whole wheat flour & flaxseed meal and topped with cinnamon sugar. Muffins are moist inside, crunchy on the top and taste delicious. Cinnamon sugar topping gives the muffins a crunchy topping. Recipe called for cinnamon brown sugar topping and I used cinnamon white sugar instead. Kamalika had given us a bottle of cinnamon sugar during the BM # 50 meet and used that for the topping. If one does not like the cinnamon sugar topping, add it to the batter instead, to sweeten the muffins.
Mr.U likes blueberries a lot and it was easy to tempt him to taste the muffins. Both of us liked the muffins and we finished all the muffins in less than 2 days. Muffins stay good at room temperature up to a week in cold weather and need to be refrigerated if it too hot. Our muffins last a day or day and a half and could not stop with just 1 muffin each time I ate.
Source: Novice Cook Cooks
Total Time: 28 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 18 – 20 minutes
Yields: 2 dozen mini muffins
- 128 grams (1 cup) White Whole Wheat Flour (I used chapathi/atta flour)
- 2 ½ tbsp. Flaxseed Meal (I used store bought but can be prepared at home by grinding flaxseeds to flour)
- ¾ tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 75 – 80 grams (half of ¾ cup) Brown Sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt or Full Fat Yogurt (I used Dannon fat free yogurt)
- 2 tbsp. Milk (I used fat free milk)
- 6 oz. (1 cup or 170 grams) Fresh Blueberries rolled in ½ tbsp. Flour
- 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line mini muffin pan with liners.
- In bowl mix wheat flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and keep aside.
- In another bowl stir together brown sugar and olive oil until sugar blends in to the oil.
- Add egg and mix it well.
- Add vanilla extract, yogurt and milk, and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and mix until the ingredients are well blended.
- Fold in blueberries rolled in flour.
- Pour the batter into muffin pan.
- In a bowl mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18 – 20 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Mine were done in 18 minutes. If using regular muffin pan, bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool and store in an air tight container.