Flax seed whole wheat blueberry muffins are butter less, healthy, moist muffins with a crunchy top. Great for breakfast, snack and also for portion control.
For the third day of cakes and muffins, I have a healthy blueberry muffin. This is the last muffin for this week. For the rest of the week I have cakes. If you want to know what all I posted so far this baking marathon, check here.
Mini muffins are butter less, made with whole wheat flour & flaxseed meal and topped with cinnamon sugar. Muffins are moist inside, crunchy on the top and taste delicious. Cinnamon sugar topping gives the muffins a crunchy topping. Recipe called for cinnamon brown sugar topping and I used cinnamon white sugar instead. Kamalika had given us a bottle of cinnamon sugar during the BM # 50 meet and used that for the topping. If one does not like the cinnamon sugar topping, add it to the batter instead, to sweeten the muffins.
Mr.U likes blueberries a lot and it was easy to tempt him to taste the muffins. Both of us liked the muffins and we finished all the muffins in less than 2 days. Muffins stay good at room temperature up to a week in cold weather and need to be refrigerated if it too hot. Our muffins last a day or day and a half and could not stop with just 1 muffin each time I ate.
Flax Seed Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Source: Novice Cook Cooks
Flax Seed Whole Wheat Blueberry Mini Muffin
- 128 grams or 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour (I used chapathi/atta flour)
- 2 ½ tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Egg
- 75 - 80 grams Brown Sugar (half of ¾ cup and I used dark brown sugar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt or Full Fat Yogurt (I used Dannon fat free yogurt)
- 2 tablespoon Fat Free Milk or Whole Milk
- 1 cup 170 grams or 6 oz Fresh Blueberries rolled in ½ tablespoon Flour
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line mini muffin pan with liners.
- Mix together wheat flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a bowl and keep aside.
- In another large bowl, stir together brown sugar and olive oil until sugar blends in to oil.
- Add egg and mix it well.
- Add vanilla extract, yogurt and milk, and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and mix until the ingredients are well blended.
- Fold in blueberries rolled in flour.
- Pour the batter into muffin pan.
- In a bowl mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18 – 20 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Mine were done in 18 minutes. If using regular muffin pan, bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool and store in an air tight container.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
This day in:
2012 - Guacamole
2014 - Kadugu Yerra from Pondicherry
Priya Srinivasan says
Awesome usha!!! whole wheat and loaded with my kiddo's favorite blueberries, looks totally delicious!!! Love that cinnamon topping, a real treat to bite into!!!
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
I love blueberries in muffins and yours looks so good!
Gayathri Kumar says
I love blueberries. They look so cute in bakes. Your muffins look superb!!
These are awesome and delicious. I will try using cranberries and I am sure they will last only till I takepictures ( if I am lucky)
Sneha datar says
So tempting muffins just waiting to be picked
Fantastic bake with berrys!! Perfect with dash of butter for breakfast
Suma Gandlur says
Those look good with that cinnamon sugar topping.
Those muffins look so cute and moist.perfectly made.
Vaishali Sabnani says
It's sad that we do not get fresh blue berries here...and if ever we get they are pathetic..lovely bake with blue berries, love it.
Yummy !!! Makes for such a good breakfast and those lovely domes muffins are so tempting
I really like the flavor of blueberries in bakes and sauces. They look so cute peeking out from the muffins.
Lovely treat with the goodness of wheat and flax seed
I love berries in my bakes as well. These muffins look very tempting.
Blueberry muffins look moist & delicious.
A fabulous treat for blueberry lovers like me, just cant resist to the prefectly baked muffins.
oh these are super tempting.. very delicious!!