Cabbage green bell pepper sandwiches are packed with nutrients and easy to prepare as well. Cook cabbage ahead and sandwiches are ready in minutes.
Today it is cabbage green bell pepper sandwiches for the second day of stuffed food. Last December on Delhi Hyderabad flight, one of the sandwiches served on board were cabbage capsicum sandwiches. I liked them a lot and this is my attempt to create those at home. My sandwiches were not close to the original sandwiches yet, delicious.
How to prepare Cabbage Sandwiches?
Cook cabbage and bell peppers until soft, season with mustard, black pepper and mayonnaise. Prepare sandwiches using this mixture as a spread. If you like hot sandwiches like I do, grill the sandwiches in a pan or in a sandwich maker. Else, trim the edges and serve.
When to serve the sandwiches?
Serve these for brunch, lunch, dinner and even as a snack or for elevenses. Pack these in lunch boxes or in your summer picnic basket and is a mess free food. Cut each sandwich into 4 squares and serve as an appetizer at parties as well. These are all day, any occasion sandwiches to have in your recipe collection!
Cabbage Green Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe
Cabbage Green Bell Pepper Sandwich
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 cup shredded or chopped Cabbage
- ¾ cup chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Chili chopped
- ½ tsp Salt, adjust to taste
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise or Cream Cheese
- Pinch of Mustard Powder or Dijon Mustard opt
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 4 Sandwich Bread Slices
- Heat oil, add green chilies, cabbage, bell pepper and saute for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle 3 – 4 tbsp of water, cover and cook on medium flame until cabbage is very soft.
- Uncover and saute for few minutes to let moisture evaporate.
- Let cabbage mixture cool.
- Mix mayo, mustard powder, black pepper and cilantro.
- Spread the stuffing on one slice of bread, cover with the second. Repeat the same with other two slices.
- Trim the edges and cut in half. This is optional.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For hot sandwiches, grill sandwiches on a pan or in a sandwich maker and no need to trim the edges.
- You can steam cabbage and bell peppers instead of sauteing.
- Cook or steam cabbage and bell peppers a day before and store in the fridge. Mix rest of the ingredients just before making sandwiches.
- Use spices and herbs of your choice. Feel free to replace green chilies and mustard powder with black pepper, hot sauce and dijon mustard.
- For hot sandwiches, grill sandwiches in a pan or sandwich maker.
- Cream cheese is a good substitute for mayonnaise. I used Philadelphia cream cheese once. Feel free to use cream cheese of your choice. Thick yogurt or Greek yogurt is also a good substitute for mayo.