Esquites is a toasted corn salad from Mexico. It is a street food and a quick & easy recipe, ready in less than 15 minutes.
Corn is my one of my favorite foods and I love it in any form. Here are a few corn recipes that I regularly make at home. Roasted corn on the cob or roasted corn kernels with chili garlic butter is my all-time favorite corn.
However, I am always open to try new corn recipes. Hence, when I saw the themes for this marathon, I instantly picked 'Cooking with Corn' as one of the themes and today it is Esquites.
What are Mexican Esquites?
Esquites is a street side Mexican corn salad. Roasted corn kernels are seasoned with jalapeno, chili powder or chili flakes, lime juice, garlic, mayonnaise and cilantro. It is served hot or at room temperature, topped with some Feta cheese. I followed this recipe.
Esquites or Corn Salad was my lunch this afternoon. Though it is a street food and served as a snack, I like it as a meal as well, when not in a mood for a heavy lunch. Since it is a such an easy recipe which takes less than 15 minutes, it is a great one when fixing a meal for one.
How to make Mexican Corn Salad?
- 1 ⅓ cup fresh Corn Kernels, kernels from 2 corn on the cobs
- 1 ½ - 2 teaspoon Oil
- ½ Jalapeño Pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Sea Salt regular salt also works, adjust to taste
- ¼ Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice
- ⅙ cup chopped Scallions
- ⅙ cup chopped Cilantro ~ Kothmir
- ½ - 1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Feta Cheese or Cotija Cheese finely crumbled (add more to liking and I used feta)
- Remove the husk from the corn on the cob and cut the kernels off the cob, using a knife.
- Heat a wide pan with add oil. I used a cast iron pan and even nonstick pan works.
- When the pan is hot, add corn kernels and cook for until kernels are charred, stirring the kernels every few minutes. This takes about 5-8 minutes depending on how tender the kernels are.
- A minute before kernels are cooked/charred evenly, add chopped jalapeno peppers. Toss for a minute.
- Transfer to a bowl and let the kernels cool.
- In a separate small bowl, mix rest of the ingredients, keeping aside some scallions, cilantro and cheese, for garnish.
- Add mayonnaise mixture to cooled kernels, toss well.
- Garnish with cilantro, scallions, cheese and serve.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
Wow this is totally new to me. and with jalapenos its bound to be hit at home.Thanks.
That is such a yummy salad with corn.
I love corn in salads - I am sure this was delicious
Lovely and tempting salad !
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
The pictures are too tempting! love the simple salad.
Beautiful presentation,salad looks healthy and colorful...
Usha, the pictures are awesome..so catchy and the dish of course would be great to dig in..