Instant Pot carrot sabudana kheer is a delicious, easy Indian sweet.
Theme of the Week – Colorful Food
As my regular readers know, I do blogging marathons with a group of bloggers and we post theme based recipes 3 times a week. Theme for this week is colorful food and the first recipe is carrot sabudana kheer or carrot tapioca pearl pudding.
What is Carrot Sabudana Kheer?
Sabudana is tapioca pearls and in India, one of the most popular preparations is kheer/payasam or pudding. A twist to traditional sabudana kheer is addition of grated carrot, which lends a nice orange color to kheer.
Preparation is quite simple; cook together sabudana and carrot in milk, sweeten it with sugar and flavor with some cardamom powder. Addition of blanched almond powder gives the kheer some richness, specially when using fat free milk. It is an easy preparation and it in even easier in Instant pot. Dump carrot, sabudana, milk and cook in porridge mode for a delicious Instant Pot carrot sabudana kheer. Add sugar and cardamom powder and serve!
Instant Pot Sabudana Kheer Recipe
Instant Pot Sabudana Kheer ~ Tapioca Pearls Puddings
- ¼ cup Sabudana ~ Tapioca Pearls soaked for ½ hour
- ¼ - ⅓ cup firmly packed grated Carrot
- 2 cup Nonfat Milk or Milk of choice
- ¼ cup Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp blanched sliced Almonds , powdered
- ⅛ cup Cardamom Seeds , powdered
- 8 Roasted Cashews , optional
- Wash and soak sabudana in water for ½ hour.
- Meantime, peel and grate carrots. Use a fine grater blade.
- Once sabudana is soaked for ½ hour, discard water and transfer sabudana to inner vessel of the Instant Pot.
- Throw in grated carrot, milk and give a good stir.
- Close the lid and cook on porridge mode for 5 minutes with vent sealed. In porridge mode, make sure the settings are on low mode and high pressure.
- Depending on the quantity of food, it takes about 8-10 minutes to build up pressure and then the cooks for 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally or after 15 minutes do a quick release.
- Open the lid and give a good stir.
- Add sugar, almond powder and mix well until sugar melts.
- Check the consistency of the kheer, add more milk if necessary. If the kheer is too thin, cook for few minutes on saute mode for desired consistency. Mind you kheer thickens as it cools.
- Turn off IP and immediately transfer to a serving bowl. Though the Instant pot is unplugged, kheer will continue to simmer as the plate of Instant pot is hot. Hence transfer immediately.
- Serve kheer hot or chilled. Garnish with roasted cashews, which is optional.
- Stovetop Cooking - When cooking on stovetop, cook sabudana and carrots with some water until half cooked. Add milk and cook until soft. Add sugar, cardamom powder and simmer to required consistency.
- Carrots - For more more color, add ⅓ cup firmly grated carrots.
- Variation to Recipe - Roast carrots in some ghee and then follow the recipe.
Like the recipe, Pin It.